Willits 822

ppride

Canoe Builder
This canoe has kneeling thwarts rather than seats. Unfortunately none of them are original. I can figure out the lengths from Pat Chapman's book, and the width and thickness from the mounting pads. What I need are patterns or close up pictures to get the shapes close. Hopefully some one has a similar boat and can help me out. The canoe was in rough shape when I got it. Fiber glassed inside and out with broken inner and outer planking, and rot in the ends. Repairs are going well with the fiber glass gone, damaged and rotten wood replaced. It won't be a museum piece but should end up a solid usable canoe.
Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete - You're a good and brave soul. This one seems like it's got some serious issues, and to save an infirm Willits from demise is an honorable thing! Mark Adams has one of these with thwarts only, but I'm not sure if he has it close by. Hopefully he'll come along soon and provide some input. Jack Cohen also has one out in San Francisco, but I don't know that he frequents these forums.

I (and others) can provide Willits thwart details, but of course it would be best to get dimensions from a canoe with thwarts placed as they are in yours.

Michael

Last edited:
What I need are patterns or close up pictures to get the shapes close.

I don't own a Willits but their catalog pictures may give you some ideas as shown below. Three of their catalogs are available from http://www.wcha.org/store/historic-wood-canoe-and-boat-company-catalog-collection with the other scanned catalogs. Good luck,

Benson

page-13.jpg
page-08.jpg

The Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle (https://www.cwb.org/) has a Willits canoe on display outside the building. I took a few pictures of it when I was there in January which I've attached here (it's been heavily painted). Looking at the catalog pictures that Benson provided, it seems like the thwarts that were on it could be original. I don't know if these are the kneeling thwarts that you are referring to, but this is a "working" museum and boat building center so maybe someone from there could take the measurements you'd need. Assuming they are closed for a while, the canoe is outside so if you know someone in that area they could probably walk over there and take the measurements too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_132052.jpg
    IMG_20200101_132052.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_20200101_132017.jpg
    IMG_20200101_132017.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 437
Pete -- I am currently restoring Willits #229 and have the thwarts removed from the canoe. If the kneeling thwarts are the same as the thwarts in a Willits with seats, I would be glad to measure, trace, photograph, etc. the thwart for you. Let me know.

Pete - You probably already know this but the catalog images that Benson posted above are the standard Willits canoe setup with two thwarts and two seats. This is the type shown in Shari's photo taken at the Center for Wooden Boats. Yours is probably more akin to the one shown in Dave's photos. This type of Willits is sometimes referred to as a Boy Scout canoe or camp canoe. Note that Dave's rear thwart is one interior plank closer to the stern deck than those in the photos below. The second and third photos attached here (these are Jack Cohen's beautiful canoes) show a comparison between the standard Willits and one with thwarts only. The last photo atttached here shows a mast thwart in place of the bow seat and thwart. The point is that the Willits brothers configured canoes in different ways as needed by their customers. If you can post photos and/or descriptions of the positions of your thwarts, you might get a reply from someone with a canoe configured exactly like yours, and from them probably get the exact shape of thwarts that were once there.

Hope this helps - Michael

willitsthwarts_interior.jpg Willits compared.jpg Willits compared b.jpg Willits mast thwart.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help. Craig sent me close up pictures and detailed drawings of his thwart which should work fine for me. Attached are pictures of the thwart locations on this boat. I will post more pictures when I'm done. Hope all are staying healthy. Pete
IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG

Pete, how did your thwarts turn out? Looks like you used the existing plates. I worked real hard to restore my thwart plates, realizing it would be a hard challenge to craft new ones. Lots of tricky angles and cutting necessary. Regards,

Last edited:
Hi Craig. They came out fine. I didn't have the originals but was able to get the shapes from help with folks on this site. I also made a removable carrying thwart so I could carry the canoe by myself. I'm looking for a willits shield for the front deck as mine was missing when I got the canoe. I enjoyed the pictures from your restoration.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0886.JPG
    IMG_0886.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 407
Hi All, This canoe was just purchased and delivered to the Fox Island Historical Museum. Fox island is about a mile across the water from Day island where the Willits had their shop. It will be on display with information on the Willits history and history of a boys camp on the island that used these canoes. I always like to see restored canoes used on the water, but couldn't have asked for a better second choice for this boat. Pete

Back