What Battery for Trolling motor ?

Nessmuck

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hi....might be in the wrong section ...but anyways...looking to do some trout fishing out of my 1960 OCTA...and an electric trolling motor sounds real good...just wondering with today’s technology of batteries....what do you folks use for a battery ? Something light,Iam hoping. Thanks Ness

I have four Mighty Max sealed batteries which so far have been really good. I have two 12 volt 50 amp hour batteries in my 13' Boston Whaler to run a Minn Kota Endura Max C2-55 (55 lbs. thrust - more than you need for a canoe) trolling motor . They run the trolling motor, sonar, outboard starter and lights. One does all the work, the second is just for backup. They are only about 2/3 the size of a normal car battery and each weigh about 30 lbs.

The other two batteries are Mighty Max 35 amp hour, sealed construction and we use them on a couple of cataraft pontoon inflatables powering Minn Kota Endura C230 trolling motors (30" shaft, 30 lbs. thrust which is also a good canoe motor). The batteries are about 7.5" by 5" and 7" tall, 26 lbs. I'm sure the big question is how long do they run, and the answer is that I don't know. On our typical outings, wandering around on the lake for a few hours, we have yet to run out of juice. Being sealed and spill-proof, they're a lot easier to deal with than the old batteries were. I bought all of them directly from Mighty Max. They had the best prices and free shipping.
MM.JPG

You also need a good smart charger. This is the one I use and it works beautifully.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVHBPDV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back