war canoes

David Satter

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Is there any way to find out how many 25 foot war canoes were fiberglassed originally from the factory ? if any. maybe the later models from the 60s ? Thanks, Dave

Is there any way to find out how many 25 foot war canoes were fiberglassed originally from the factory ?

Yes, but it would involve manually searching through at least twenty thousand build records between 1965 when fiberglass was first listed in the catalogs and 1971 when the war canoes were last shown. I know that they built two in the late 1980s or early 1990s as a team building exercise over the winter and at least one of these was covered with fiberglass at the factory. Two factory teams entered war canoes in the Kenduskeag Stream Canoe Race that year but had trouble at Six Mile Falls. Let me know if anyone wants to take on a search like this.

Benson

Last edited:
Thanks, Benson. I did think that it might be a manual job. I'm going to a camp to look at two of them. The photos look like glass so I'm curious to find out. thanks.

Most of the larger manufacturers offered canoes in this size range including Kennebec, Peterborough, Robertson, Walter Dean, Chestnut, and others.

Benson

PAGE-13.JPG page-08.jpg page-16.jpg War-Canoe-Race.jpg

Thanks, Benson. I got to look at them today. Both canoes are identical on the top sides. The one with the wide inside stem like a Morris has wider thicker ribs 2 1/2 compared to the other 2 1/8 wide. The smaller inside stem one has a number but it's so little I can't read it. Otherwise no markings I could find. both have fiberglass on them, not a great job but it's on good. They both had a makeover 20 years ago, but the owner today doesn't know what was done. Maybe they had glass originally. keel screws are a mess so someone had these apart. IMG_3164.JPG IMG_3158.JPG IMG_3161.JPG IMG_3162.JPG I'd like to try an identify them if possible. Dave

I'm not sure. It appears that the prior repairs may have removed all of the easily identifiable features. Some good pictures of the small stem numbers may help. Sorry,

Benson

Back