Wanigan Trip Box

Woodycanoe75

Prairie Canoe Company
I was on a resent trip to the Quetico with a good friend of mine and he was making fun of how I traveled through the park. Cedar Canvas canoe, canvas pack and a wooden wanigan with a tumpline. Well throughout the trip he kept asking me about the box and marveled about how nice it must be to not have to dig through packs. By the end of the trip he was carrying my wanigan and asking about how to make one. So I drew up some plans for him for a case of beer and now I thought I would share them with everyone at WCHA. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 0098_001.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 1,281
  • 0099_001.pdf
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,035
I have just built a wanigan over here in the UK and made it up out of three re-cycled wine crates. I am pleased with the result; not so with the hangover from 36 bottles of red!

P1030023.JPG
DSC_2068.JPG

I like the re-cycled wanigan. Nice use of the materials. I will post a few picture of mine also made from re-cycled 1/2" thick plywood shelves. Will post this evening or tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

Got a kick out of your stickers Blott. My first canoe, a 1973 Old Town 18' Chipewayan came from Fernald's and had that very sticker on one of the decks. Still have the canoe, but the stickers gone.

Matt

Here's my old wannigan (the box, not my wife!). It and the cooler are of similar vintage to the Old Town from Fernald's and still in use. PVC pipe was a mast step from years ago.

Matt

Blott: Interesting to see that a Fernald's decal made it across the pond. They are relatively local. I have restored a number of canoes that were sold there.

Cheers,

Fitz

The tray which you see in the photo with the Fernald's and Old Town decal on was in fact a leaflet/flyer holder which I won in the 2016 Assembly auction and which I adapted to be a condiment tray for the box. A far better use than holding utility bills at home :)

My wannigan gets used when I go camping but isn't taken far by canoe.usually because I have too many locks to go around and lifting it in and out of the canoe from a high bank is not easy.
Still I do like it once I arrive as its great to have lots of stuff all in one box.
20150917_203016.jpg

These are beautiful! I worked at a boys camp in Minnesota for many years. I have guided thousands of miles of trips from the Quetico up to Hudson Bay. We always had two wanigans on each trip. So of course I had to make some! I will add pics once I've met the threshold of three posts.

I'm in the clear. I'm way too proud of my boxes, I understand that. And they are not recycled like the others, which I justify by saying that some institutions need interchangeable parts. But anyway, here they are. I have them at EarthEd.

Copy of R1-01352-0024-727x491.JPG
EarthEdWanigans18 - Edited.jpg

Back