Waho

stewy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am restoring a 15' Chestnut - extremely narrow, 30" canvas to canvas - with the following etched in both stems - WAHO ST 890 - . I realize Chestnut serials are confused but this one seems so distinctive that I wonder if it strikes a chord with anyone. Thanks in advance.

I don't recognize that as a Chestnut mark. If the "W" in WAHO is really a "Y," it could be a "Huron" canoe made by YAHO, G & C Groslouis in Lorreteville (Village des Hurons), Quebec.

Photos will help.

I am embarrassed!! I did a little further stripping and then took a picture of the mark. On revolving the picture 180 degrees (see below), I realized that what had appeared top me as -WAHO ST 890 - was in fact - 062 15 CHUM -. Thank you, Dan Miller, for your attention once again. I don't see any evidence of tampering with the canoe in the past so remain a little puzzled at its extreme narrowness. It would only be 32" across outer wales. IMGP0407.jpg

Sorry - meant to attach picture rotated - (ie. looking up the stem rather than down it!!)IMGP0407.jpg

Back