Upper great lakes regional assembly august 19-21

Splinter

Wood Girl #1186
You are invited to participate in the Regional Assembly of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association in Marquette, Michigan, held under a beautiful canopy of pine trees at the Tourist Park on the Dead River. Our event begins with a Welcome Reception on Friday from 6:00 to 9:00 PM in downtown Marquette. As we gather and socialize, Stephen Brede from Petoskey, Michigan will share his stories and slides of six summers he spent paddling and camping the perimeter of all five Great Lakes! Saturday activities at Tourist Park will take place from 10:00 AM through 9:00 PM. Consider staying in the Marquette area so you can join the planned canoe outings on Sunday, August 21st.

Exhibitor Fees and Policies:
$20 Exhibitor Fee permits any number of boats per person (or family)
Exhibitor fee includes one raffle ticket
Boats will be displayed on the grass (or you can provide your own stands or cradles)
Registration form, including the release form and boat description, is attached

The Upper Great Lakes Regional Assembly will feature a full day of demonstrations, vendor booths with canoe and traditional craft items for sale, raffle and silent auction, opportunities for river paddling, and time to learn from other exhibitors. You are encouraged to have your boats on display by 10:00 AM and plan on staying through the evening. Food vendors will be on the grounds for lunch and an evening pasty supper will be available for a small fee. The day concludes with an evening boat parade complete with a “paddle-by-and-salute.”

Special plans are underway this year to form a “Century Circle.” We plan on a display in honor of the canoes built in the year 1916 or earlier! Consider bringing yours – boats in any condition are welcome! We will also feature demonstrations including solo and tandem paddling, water safety, canoe restoration and re-canvassing, traditional craftsmanship including paddle making, building a willow coracle and birch bark canoe construction.

This regional assembly is a great opportunity for boat builders and wooden boat enthusiasts to gather and share insight about their watercraft. The public will be charged no entrance fee for this assembly; boat exhibitors pay only the one-time $20 fee.

Please join us for this celebration of wooden canoes. Complete the attached registration form and send a check for $20 made out to the UP Chapter of the WCHA. Mail your check and registration to Craig Kitchen, 2082 Orchard, Marquette, MI 49855.

If you plan on camping, please realize the Tourist Park is nearly full. Call 906-228-0465 to check for any openings or visit the travelmarquettemichigan.com website for alternate lodging or camping.

That red voyageurs toque (kal !)

Since so many people enjoy having a chance to have their very own Red Voyageurs toque, complete with the little clay pipe that I always provide for the silent auction, I will do a KAL for that item for those interested in learning how to make one. I will provide yarn, pattern, stitch markers yarn joiner. We will be using #7US needles. Avid knitters who want to bring their own needles should bring #7 16" circular plus a set of 4 #7DP's. If you have the short DP's bring those as well, they are handy at the start. I WILL BRING some needles along that you can have if you don't have any #7's. Registration is limited to 6 participants. Sign up with Judy Kitchens but, you pay for it at the event $10.00. You may also want to bring a comfortable folding chair. We're likely just sitting around outside somewhere at the event. NOTE: Pre-requisite, must know how to knit & purl. Knowing how to cast on is a plus but, not necessary. NOTE 2: If you're knitting for a larger head, you may want to use #8's instead of 7's. I'll bring some 8's and 7's.

Looking forward to this event! Not my first Regional, but my first in the UP!

I got to see a draft of the Schedule, and, as you'd expect, it's way cool! Be there!

Reminding everyone of this great event. If you can't be here, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, maybe you'll be checking out the Viking ship that came all the way from Norway and will be parked at Belle Isle in Detroit (I love the significance of this very much--- what a cool courting canoe!). I'll attach a picture of the ship, taken when Fred and I visited her in Green Bay a week ago.

If you can't make it to the Regional Assembly, our chapter will be present at HarborFest in Marquette the following Saturday (the 27th) with some nice canoes-- and there will be Tall Ships in the harbor (but not the wonderful Viking ship).

Attachments

• DSCN2925.jpg
    DSCN2925.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 425
Singin' in da Rain

Our Regional Assembly made the front page of the local paper, and TV crews were out as well. They probably noticed we are a hardy bunch, showing up with our canoes and hanging-in, despite continual rain. That's because we not only are devoted to these canoes, but to the friends we've made while involved with the WCHA.

Attachments

• DSCN3100.jpg
    DSCN3100.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 459
  • DSCN3090.jpg
    DSCN3090.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 441
  • DSCN3080.jpg
    DSCN3080.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 443
  • DSCN3069.jpg
    DSCN3069.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 449
  • DSCN3059.jpg
    DSCN3059.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 449
  • Mining Journal story 2016 regional assembly.jpg
    Mining Journal story 2016 regional assembly.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 431
Those of you who took photos there please send me high-resolution shots for publication in Wooden Canoe.

Thanks!

The rain didn't stop any of us from enjoying this event! So we had the water above us instead of under us, it was great to see everyone. Thanks to all that worked on hosting the UGLRA 2016!
2016-08-20 09.24.56.jpg 2016-08-20 09.24.43.jpg 2016-08-20 09.24.31.jpg 2016-08-20 09.24.13.jpg 2016-08-20 09.23.41.jpg

2016-08-20 09.22.30.jpg 2016-08-20 09.23.19.jpg 2016-08-20 14.10.24.jpg 2016-08-20 14.10.49.jpg 2016-08-21 07.56.44.jpg Over night Saturday brought in very gusty winds. Left these beautiful waves as we headed home.

Wonderful video! Very nice! Thanks for posting, Kathy. And Craig, you did an outstanding job representing the WCHA and those lovely canoes. Even with the rain, it looks like it was great event.

Michael

Back