Unknown long deck model

ddewees

Woodworker
The Lake Champlain Maritime Museum has been given a 16' closed gunwale canoe stamped on the bow stem with 16 - 7384, provenance unknown. Does this number make sense as an Old Town?

Thanks,
Don Dewees

Pictures would help... the decks, stem profile, gunnels, planking pattern if it's visible, seats...

Somebody with the build records will be along to look it up, and see if that makes sense.

Benson, thank you for getting back on this. You are right that I did inquire about this same boat way back when (2006!!), but had forgotten you and Fitz had given such a thorough response, and did not search in the archives for those old posts as I should have done. The occasion for revisiting the ID now is that I gave the canoe to LCMM a few years ago, and am now involved as a volunteer in restoring it. Eventually it will probably be sold by them to support Museum programs. At present work is well along, with carpentry repairs and re-canvasing nearly complete. Still to go are replacing keel,rails and seats. and final finishes. However, I am no further along on its provenance, and am only now returning to that research. I hope you did not put much time into into digging up our old correspondence, which will be quite helpful as I make another pass at figuring out where the boat came from. I may bother you again later for some of your expertise, but for now thanks for getting me back on the track. I'm guessing your memory is a lot sharper than mine these days!

Don in Vermont

Back