Unidentified canoe worth restoring?

Thatsapaddlin

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi Guys,

I have the opportunity to get a boat for free. The boat appears to be a Chestnut, but there are no identifiable markings. I'm told it's a Bob's Special, but I'm not certain this is right. It measures 15ft in length, is 34 inches wide from outside the gunnels (I read that Bob's are 37"), and is 12-ish inches deep. The ribs are 2 3/8 inches at the widest point, but they taper as they reach the gunnel. The ribs are about 2-3inches apart. All of this is to say that the boat might be a Chum?

The old owner tells me that the boat was 60 years old when he bought it in the 1970's, but this doesn't seem right to me. It seems like, based on the dragon fly website, that the boat might be a chestnut post-1967. Might. The deck is half moon shaped, with a bit of a cutout underneath.

Lastly, it seems the outwales have been replaced at some point. The installer put some sort of cap on the deck.

The boat floats, which is great, but here's the kicker....most of the ribs appear to be cracked or broken and the boat was fibreglassed probably 35years ago. It is also super heavy.

I have attached a couple photos if that might help.

Two questions, 1) any help identifying the boat would be majorly appreciated, and 2) is it worth restoring or should we just enjoy it while it lasts and start looking for something else?

Many, many thanks!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190826-204406_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190826-204406_Gallery.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 498
  • Screenshot_20190826-204251_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190826-204251_Gallery.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 479
  • Screenshot_20190826-204331_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190826-204331_Gallery.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 483
  • Screenshot_20190826-204337_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190826-204337_Gallery.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 467
  • Screenshot_20190826-204113_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190826-204113_Gallery.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 467
Hi again,

I thought I'd add more detail about the deck. It is sort of mounded or raised. It arcs upward toward the middle.

Was the fiberglass applied over the old canvas? That'll make a canoe get heavy really quickly.

The outwales are obvious replacements, but I suspect the seats & thwarts might not be original, as well; they look too new!

I think the bow seat is original. You can see the holes from where the cane likely went under the placeholder material. The stern seat is a replacement for sure. Added at the same time as the outwale.

Unsure about the thwarts!

Based on the weight alone, I'd say it might've been put on top of the canvas. I can find out. But I can see some - I think - canvas near the gunnel.

Thanks!!

its not a bobs, but thats a good thing. seems to be a chum thats had another thwart added ahead of the stern seat, which is strange. it looks pre 67 and maybe earlier, it doesnt have that flat run where they pulled them in with a too-short centre thwart. boat for free ah the three sweetest words, but the trade off is stripping glass and deck replacement, gunwale splices and fibreglass removal. Wonderful solo boat, for a ton of restoration work. its up to you. only way i leave auctions without a ton of stuff is to remind myself that i wasnt looking for any of it before it was offered up as a bargain. a great boat to learn on if you were looking for a project, and you would have a great boat when done. heres a wreck i redid - Canadian's 15 was called the Balmy, not a great name, so i made it a Chestnut again since they were built on the same form.

Attachments

• chum.JPG
    chum.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 430
  • chum4.JPG
    chum4.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 437
  • chum5.JPG
    chum5.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 406
  • chum3.JPG
    chum3.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 412
Wow. Congrats on doing a wonderful job on that restoration! Many thanks for the insight.

This boat certainly will be a big job, add replacing lots of broken ribs to that list.

not all cracks need to be replaced. lots of info on here about back side repairs, or even leaving it if not a catastrophic break and no distortion in hull. nice simpsons reference btw
jasper.jpg

Back