Tip for Today

beaver

Birchbark CanoeingBuilder
If your wrist,shoulder,and elbow are paining and there is still much work to be done shaving down the cedar, here is a little tip.........Get yourself a medium sized beaver and put him to work! As you know, "Nothing works harder than a Beaver" and they do (dam) nice work;;)

Attachments

• Crooked-knife beaver copy.jpg
    Crooked-knife beaver copy.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 623
Maybe it's survival of the laziest and not the smartest after all. Over a million or so generations of beavers, the really industrious, committed, beavers gnawed through the entire tree and died when it fell on them. There's hope for us slackards !!!!!!

Installing stem bands

I am nearing the completion of an OT Octa with long decks and outside stems. I need info on placement of the stem bands. How far down the deck does the band extend over the bow and stern? What info is there for placement of the deck decal?

Attached is a picture of a 1914 short-decked Old Town, showing decal placement and extent to which the stem band touches the deck. I'll hunt-up an Otca unless someone else beats me to it...

Kathy

Attachments

• Old Town with stem band and decal.jpg
    Old Town with stem band and decal.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 605
Adding a couple pictures originally posted by Rollin, in reply to a question about Old Town rails and tips, showing an Otca and a guide model. Maybe someone else has an exact measurement of the stem band bend-over on an unrestored Otca. I know that with Morris canoes, the stem band doesn't actually make it all the way to the deck but curves over with only 3/4 inch projecting toward the deck, and appears more like the treatment on the 1914 OT in the post above... might be different on an Otca though, and I can't say for sure because we don't have one sittin' out in the barn.

Kathy

Attachments

• ot deck with stem band.jpg
    ot deck with stem band.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 581
  • OT Guide with stem band.jpg
    OT Guide with stem band.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 602
I need info on placement of the stem bands. How far down the deck does the band extend over the bow and stern? What info is there for placement of the deck decal?

The amount of stem band on the deck does not appear to have been a fixed standard. My 1936 Otca has 4.25 inches of stem band on each deck. The very fuzzy phone camera image of the bow deck below should help you place the decal. My 1927 Otca Special sailing canoe model has 3.25 inches of stem band the bow deck and 4.25 inches on the stern. My 1907 Charles River model with long decks has five inches of stem band on the bow deck and 4.5 inches on the stern. My 1981 Molitor model also has long decks with five inches of stem band on the bow deck and 5.5 inches on the stern. Let me know if you want more details.

Benson

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
Back