Time to fiberglass

ByrneMan

Do I need to treat the cedar with a light coat of resin before I apply the fiberglass or can I just lay the glass on and start to apply the resin mix? The temp is falling and will be under 70 degrees F. even with the heater I have in my garage. Do I need to wait for spring or go for it? :(

Many thanks!

Here's how I determine if I need to seal coat or not. If the hull was built staple less, and you have Very slight defects. Forget the seal coat. If you built with staples, seal coat. I hate to see staple holes wick resin away from my cloth. And they will.

Is 70 degrees too cool. It may depend on your resin. Call your manufacturer of the resin ! Some resins require 80+ degrees.

A year ago I had issues with the resin I was using in the Winter, It left resin with milky spots. Warmth is your friend when working with epoxy !

Jim

Thanks!

Will take your advice!

Here's how I determine if I need to seal coat or not. If the hull was built staple less, and you have Very slight defects. Forget the seal coat. If you built with staples, seal coat. I hate to see staple holes wick resin away from my cloth. And they will.

Is 70 degrees too cool. It may depend on your resin. Call your manufacturer of the resin ! Some resins require 80+ degrees.

A year ago I had issues with the resin I was using in the Winter, It left resin with milky spots. Warmth is your friend when working with epoxy !

Jim

I agree with Jim about warmth.You can warm your resin by putting it in a box with a light bulb inside it or by putting the containers in warm (not boiling) water.
Put a couple of fan heaters under (or in if you are doing the inside) the hull and warm it up too and you should have enough heat. Once you have started applying resin reduce the heat to avoid outgassing (bubbles).
Cheers
Alick

Back