Thoughts on this canoe?? (Canoe I.D., INFO, ETC.)

AOSTA

Hi there,
Very new to the canoe community. Can't find too much on this manufacturer, can anyone help? Maker info, rarity, quality, what I'd have to do to get her back to working condition, what its worth in its current shape versus restored, really any information wood be awesome! Thanks in advance!! : )

Attachments

• 00N0N_kUAC1JPyqaB_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_kUAC1JPyqaB_600x450.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 350
  • 00r0r_jNmEXwMFF7l_600x450.jpg
    00r0r_jNmEXwMFF7l_600x450.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 343
  • 00I0I_8FMTtdUlsLK_600x450.jpg
    00I0I_8FMTtdUlsLK_600x450.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 395
  • 00f0f_dWOElajL3L_600x450.jpg
    00f0f_dWOElajL3L_600x450.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 354
  • 00Y0Y_1ahgRk5Xfy4_600x450.jpg
    00Y0Y_1ahgRk5Xfy4_600x450.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 317
If you do a search for "Crandell" on these forums, you'll get several hits. I don't think there are any records of build dates for these, as there are for Old Towns & Kennebecs, but others here may have some insight into that. I don't see anything for Crandell in the Knowledge Database, but that's probably because nobody got around to writing it yet. It's an opportunity!

As for what its worth, here's a thread that discusses value: http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57-How-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth&p=56072#post56072

Welcome to the WCHA! You'll find that folks here are very willing to share their restoration techniques & experience. Depending on your location, you may be able to find a local chapter; look here: http://www.wcha.org/local-area-chapters/ You'll find good eyes-on advice, and very possibly some hands-on help.

There are two books that can help guide you through restoration & repairs:
http://store.wcha.org/The-Wood-and-Canvas-Canoe.html is often referred to as "the Bible" of canoe repairs, but is out of print. You may be able to find it on eBay, Craig's List, or through your public library.

The other is "Building the Maine Guide Canoe," by Jerry Stelmok, but I don't see it listed in our store anymore... Not sure what's going on there.

In the WCHA store, there are also reprints from Wooden Canoe, our bimonthly journal, about rebuilding canoes.

From what I can see in the pictures, the boat looks very restorable. Posting pictures is highly encouraged, especially when you have questions. Remember that the only "dumb question" is the one you decide not to ask -- folks here have restored a lot of old canoes, and are more than willing to help guide you through the process. Even if nobody has seen a particular issue before, you'll get a lot of great ideas how to approach anything.

We like pictures of wooden canoes, in all stages of restoration... especially the part when they get back on the water!

Howard Crandell started building canoes when he took over his father-in-law, canoe pioneer J.R. Robertson's boat house on Lake Quinsigamond, Worcester Mass in 1900. He built only 17' canoes; Robertson would supply other lengths if requested. Howard's son joined the business in 1924 and it closed in 1950. There is a good article about Crandell in Wooden Canoe issue 140, which is available through the WCHA Online Store (http://store.wcha.org)

They are not all that common but there are a few around. Yours looks to be in quite good condition. Apart from stretching a new canvas on her, it is hard to say what else might be needed to complete the restoration from the photos.

Appreciate it!! : ) I actually haven't purchased this canoe yet. I guess I just didn't want to to either overpay or get into a restoration that would cost more than it'd be worth. The seller says that it is a 16' canoe, so maybe the maker stamp isn't original. Anyways, thank you so much for your time, the history lesson and your warm welcome!

When you look at it again, take a tape measure with you. The measurement should be at the farthest outside point on each end of canoe. Some folks mistakenly measure to the end of the decks.
Greg

Folks frequently mis-measure canoes. The seller may have been going by the inside dimensions or tip-to-tip and ignoring the curve of the stems... length is best determined by measuring the farthest outside-point at one end to the farthest point at the other--- imagine a plumb-line or yardstick positioned against each end and measure the distance between.

Welcome! You've come to the right place!

Crandell in Hyannis, MA

I'll have to jump in here.

The Crandell has been purchased by an anonymous WCHA member, I am not at liberty to disclose the name at this time.

The canoe has been liberated from Hyannis and has been stashed in a safe, undisclosed location. Within the next ten days I expect to have the canoe here where a complete evaluation will be made and photos will be posted here. After that the canoe will be placed in secure storage awaiting pickup by its new owner.

Steve Lapey

I have not yet seen this vessel.

It was advertised as a 16 footer, but, Crandell only made 17's, so, there is the possibility that this one was made by someone else and marked by Crandell to be used in his livery.

We won't know the details until we actually see it.

SVL

Based on what I can see, I am betting it was inaccurately measured. Shape of the decks, planking pattern, shape of thwarts are all in line with other known Crandells. When it is in possession, see if it has a serial number stamped into the stem along with the initials HEC. I'd be interested in the serial number if present.

Thanks,

Adam

The canoe is now here and it is definitely a Crandell, 17 feet long. It has a serial number, 315, stamped in each stem, the bow stem is also stamped "HEC". The bow deck is missing the Crandell tag. I can't tell for sure if it had outside stems, it did have a keel and a floor rack, both of which have gone missing It has closed gunwales and is in what I would describe as very good condition. The ribs and planking are close to perfect. The two thwarts are stamped at each end "H.E. Crandell" and it came with two paddles, both faintly marked "Crandell". I think its new owner is going to be very pleased with this canoe.

Attachments

• Crandell 003.jpg
    Crandell 003.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 242
  • Crandell 004.jpg
    Crandell 004.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Crandell 006.jpg
    Crandell 006.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 254
  • Crandell 009.jpg
    Crandell 009.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 255
Steve, why the secrecy? It isn't like it is a one-off pre-1895 Rushton! "un-identified, secure location, etc. etc."

Steve, why the secrecy? It isn't like it is a one-off pre-1895 Rushton! "un-identified, secure location, etc. etc."

I was baffled by the same thing! It's a canoe, after all.

"I'll have to jump in here. The Crandell has been purchased by an anonymous WCHA member, I am not at liberty to disclose the name at this time. The canoe has been liberated from Hyannis and has been stashed in a safe, undisclosed location."

Back