The start

Mark Adams

all wood nut
This is the early Cedar Rib canoe I got several years ago. I have been thinking for years not how to fix the issues with it, and have formulated a plan. I had a set of carbide router bits custom made for the tongue and groove, and have a plan for a adjustable form to bend the ribs on. (details to follow if it works)

The pictures below are after 5 hours of work with a heat gun. The paint was epoxy, and the outside seems to be epoxy as well. I'll be going back with liquid stripper and cleaning it up.

Does anyone know what strips Bondo? The last person who "worked" on this canoe used Bondo to fill screw holes and broken and chipped planking.

I hope no one curses my work in the future like I have been cursing the last monkey who worked on this. Some people shouldn't be allowed near tools or a paint brush.

Attachments

• halfstrip.jpg
    halfstrip.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 511
  • fullstrip1.jpg
    fullstrip1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 519
Looks like a great project! Out of curiosity, where did you get the router bits made? Was it pricey?

HI Darryl,

I work in a tool sales store. We specialize in woodworking tools and supplies. It is kind of like an alcoholic working in a liquor store... Anyway, we use a place in SoCal that custom makes router bits. They were spendy, even with my wholesale discount.

Attachments

• Router Bit design.pdf
    313.2 KB · Views: 535
Here are some more pics. The inside has been cleaned with lye, phosphoric acid, and Oxalic acid. I have my sister in law sending a bunch of old dental tools so I can start picking away at the bondo. You can tell where I got a little heavy handed with the heat gun.

Attachments

• cedar rib #1.jpg
    cedar rib #1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Cr#2.jpg
    Cr#2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 465
Back