Shop Shots

Speaking of beer....if I am lucky enough to make 2023 Assembly will be bringing a bottle of recently bottled nectar of the gods. 20221203_124951.jpg

Does anyone do anything specific with the sawdust? Ie mix it with anything and then use it in a woodburning stove?

So it begins. Have been scavenging boats, tools, and advice for starting to get the workshop up and running. Will post as this moves forward. Thanks to all who have provided experience and recommendations.

So it begins. Have been scavenging boats, tools, and advice for starting to get the workshop up and running. Will post as this moves forward. Thanks to all who have provided experience and recommendations.
STOP, where you are. I see an issue already. At a minimum, double the footprint as it's already to small ;)!

You Sir are correct! If I lived up north with a few more acres I would have an expansive spread. However, dealing with what I have it will be a 20'x24' workshop. I had to consider the winds/hurricanes we get here so it will be a metal building. share your thoughts and ideas as we go along.

A buddy came down from the Great White North to help out. Temps in the Mid - 50s. He is in shorts and a t-shirt (fellow New Yorker!). About a month form now we will install the 12 arches that comprise the side walls and roof. Intent is to get HVAC in, primarily due to the heat and humidity during our summers.

Dave, great advice. Eventually looking to build basically a lean-to with good overhead coverage and lattice walls for additional canoe and wood storage. Getting it all tucked up high and out of the sun and rain will be key.

Anyone heat their shop with a wood burning stove? Have a couple sitting around but not sure if it introduces excess moisture or dries things out too much. Been thinking of repurposing the saw dust and turning them into "logs" as it appears OT did at a massive scale.

Todd,
I had thoughts of heating my shop with wood, but my insurance company put a kabosh on it.
in hindsight, I’m glad I went with Modine heaters and a thermostat. Helps with drying paint and varnish.

So Dave, how big is your shop and what unit did you end up with? Have also considered mini-splits as well but I can get natural gas to the shop if needed.

Insurance....yea, guess I need to start thinking about that....

Shop started at 24x28. Quickly outgrew that and added another 24x28. I have a unit in each section. Not sure what size they are.

Geez, yours is bigger than mine! You have a big shop. Pretty jealous but my current limitations will force efficiency. Still interested in folks heating solutions.

Dave, mind sharing details? Looking to learn from others!

I too have a mini-split heat pump in my shop. Insurance co would not insure the building if I had installed a wood stove. Mini-split is fantastic. Quiet, very efficient and takes up little space.

Back