Separated canvas

RAN

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Just received my newly recanvased wood canoe. There is a hand sized separation (slight air bubble) between the canvas and wood on one side of the stern under the gunwale. How big of a problem is this? Is there a fix? Injected adhesive? I don’t think it’s a water proofing issue and it’s not really visible. Thanks for any advice.

Presumably this is your Blind Green Seliga?
Murphy occasionally rears his ugly head and offers up all kinds of conundrums.
You should not attempt to repair this without first discussing the bubble with the person who canvased the boat for you. They will likely offer to address it for you.
Located close to the rail it is primarily a cosmetic concern. Nevertheless, it should be sorted.
Puckers can often be pulled out and tightened even once the hull has been finished.

I’ve had that happen a couple times. It was caused by canvas that wasn’t trimmed close enough. The gunwale rabbet was pushing the canvas down. Remove your gunwale and see what’s going on in that area.
Or contact your canvas guy.

I've had this happen on my Charles River when I first finished it. It would bubble up when the sun warmed it up. Once the filler cured for over 6 months it stopped doing it.

Thanks everyone for your help. Always appreciated. Painted Bottle Green BTW, rather than Blind Green. Darker, so better.

Back