Seeking plans for a modified Prospector from Franklin Cedar Canoes

Gary Peterson

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Twenty years ago, I bought full-size plans for a cedarstrip from Franklin Cedar Canoes. The model was described by the builder, who drew the plans, as his 16' Modified Prospector. Starting from the original Chestnut Prospector, he had flattened out the bottom a little for more stability with no cargo, reduced the extreme rocker to only 1-1/2", reduced the midship depth 13", and changed the sheer line a little.

I liked the lines so ordered the plans and cut out the sectional forms. A small crew used the forms to demonstrate cedarstrip canoe construction at the grand opening of the Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum in Spooner, WI. We finished the canoe a few weeks later in the Museum workshop. It turned out pretty well, selling for $4,500 at a local auction for the Boys and Girls Club.

That winter, my son-in-law was laid off from his masonry job. So he spent some time in my shop building his own canoe. Using cove-and-bead milled northern white cedar strips and cherry trim, he made his own Franklin Modified Prospector. That canoe turned out especially nice and the white cedar canoe attracted lots of attention when the boat was displayed at the 2nd annual Wooden Boat and Canoe Show at the WCHM in Spooner. So much so that a shocking offer of $5K for his canoe was turned down at the close of the show.

Two more people used the forms to build their own canoes in my shop, They apparently believed the sign in my shop warning them that–When people figure out what's important in Life, there's gonna be a shortage of canoes. After those last two canoes, I sold the forms.

Now I want to make another form for the Modified Prospector canoe and I can't find plans as Mr. Franklin has probably passed on.

Does anyone know where I might find a set of full-size forms?

Charlie,
I think it was Mark Twain who said–when he read his funeral announcement in the local newspaper–"The news of my death is greatly exaggerated."

So I apologize for suggesting you had one foot in the grave.

You read how I loved your plan, and what an improvement it was over Chestnut's original Prospector. My son-in-law came into my shop and I helped him build you modified prospector in white cedar and cherry. That was the canoe I mentioned in my WCHA post that someone offered hm $5000 for. He was saving its as an heirloom in his will for his son. So he refused the offer. Now, had that been my canoe...

Tell me how much it's going to cost me to recover an heirloom plan and I'll send a check.

Also, my daughter took pictures at every stage of the build and made them into a PowerPoint presentation. Reply with your home email and I'll have her attach it for you in an email.

Gary

When people figure out what's important in Life, there's gonna be a shortage of canoes.

Attachments

• White Cedar 16' Prospector canoe.pdf
    289.4 KB · Views: 375
Charlie,

Just a quick compliment on the precision of your hand-drawn plans for the Modified Prospector.

As a hobby, I've been building canoes for nearly 60 years. Some of those have been cedar/canvas boats with steamed white cedar ribs, 5/32" planking, and canvas. Some have been skin-on-frame kayaks covered with various high-tech fabrics. I've even made a marine mahogany lapstrake for rowing . But most of the dozens I've built have been cedarstrip canoes and kayaks from various plans–s0me done by naval architects on computers with powerful software programs. Invariably, every plan had some type of error which made my job as a builder more difficult and frustrating. Your plan was the only one where everything was dead nuts perfect. The stations on 12" centers yields a beautifully fair hull with none of the little bumps or dips from a misdrawn station or two.

I don't know if you use a computer with naval architecture software to fair the station drawings, or if you just fly by the seat of your pants and freehand the sections with a pencil. But however you came up with this plan, it's an elegant job you can be proud of.

Gary

AND: You can send the plans to:

Gary Peterson
2120 20 1/2 Avenue
Rice Lake, WI 54868
715-205-2029
gary@canoecraft.org

When people figure out what's important in Life, there's gonna be a shortage of canoes.

The plans were done the old way, on a drawing table with a fairing batten and a sharp pencil. But by my Dad, not by me. It was a project we did semi-together, 400 miles apart. I was the one who built the canoes, and who kept suggesting changes, but he did the careful work. He was an engineer, and a hobby boatbuilder, and a meticulous draftsman. And very patient when I'd come up with dumb ideas. I wish he was here to hear your compliments.

I'll check this evening to see if I need to get new drawings printed, and I'll let you know before I send them. I'll let you know the cost before they go, but it won't be much. Charlie

I only need half-hull drawings as I'm going to trace the drawing of one side onto the plywood, then flip the drawing and trace the drawing again on that side. That way, I'll end up with complete sections but your plans are only half as expensive to print and ship.

You might be interested in a project I was involved in several ears ago to create the first–and only–dedicated wooden canoe museum and workshop in the country. It's located in Spooner, WI. That's in northern Wisconsin within an hour's drive of three Wild and Scenic Rivers. Check out our website: https://wisconsincanoeheritagemuseum.org/index.html. In addition to the quarter million dollars of classic canoes in the collection going back to 1855, we have an unbelievably complete workshop there where I'll be renting a building station in the workshop building your Modified Prospector canoe.
Gary

Back