Scale model canoe plans?

John Greer

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Does anyone actually sell model canoe plans? Spent the afternoon today on the upper Missouri with two of our WC canoes and someone asked me if I'd ever thought of building a model. I know Rollin builds the Morris but are there any plans out there available?

Lots and lots of plans out there - don't let the fact that they are 12"=1' scale models deter you...

Build at 1-1/2" or 3" to the foot. At 1-1/2" = 12", your model of a 16' canoe will be 24" long, and 1/8"=1". At 3"=12", you're up to a 32" model and 1/4" = 1".

Or, scale your drawings on a photocopier/scanner to any size you want and build directly from the drawings... If you are technologically adept, you can do this in FreeShip or even Adobe Illustrator.

All you really need are the station offsets via lofted drawing or plans. You can then break out the calculator and plug in whatever scale you want. If its your personal canoe you want to replicate, measure and divide. Check out my web site pearsoncanoemodels.homestead.com to get an idea of what 1/8th and 1/12th scale looks like. I can help you out if any other questions arise. Many dont like to work in these scales;) due to thinness of material as well as untraditional fastening/glue techniques. I like the detail these scales produce. My advise is to not cut any corners, I learned the hard way!!

Thanks (Dan & Chris). Will have to give it some thought as winter approaches. Although my wife told me I have to build new kitchen cabinets first! Was actually thinking of something 4-6 feet as I have a professional artist friend who mentioned that he knew folks who would like to have something that size to showcase.

Back