Scale cane

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
Guys,
I'm looking for something to replicate cane in 1/5th scale. Has to be spot on, perhaps I'll try splitting real cane to .040" wide. Any thoughts?:rolleyes:

Chris:

Try H H Perkins Co. You can reach them at: hperkinsco@hhperkins.com. Or just Google for H H Perkins; they have all kinds of info on their website. They make different widths right down to a very fine, or smaller. Great service. Last year, I wanted some fine material to repair a seat in my old 42" Carleton sample model. They sent me yards of the stuff for $10, including mailing; way more than I could ever use. I could send you some if you think it would work.

Let me know how you make out.

Roger

You're welcome, Chris. Actually, it was Ralph Disley of 'Little Bear Canoes', Milo, ME, a fellow model maker, who passed the tip along to me last year. So, I must really give credit where it is due. I believe Ralph is also a WCHA member.

Roger

PS: I reverted to a different form of modelling this past winter; something I haven't done in 50 years.

Attachments

• planes 007.jpg
    planes 007.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 506
Not exactly sure of the scale, Rob. I believe the full span of the top wing is 50". It is a kit model of English manufacture, made for radio-controlled flight, but I left the real engine and radio stuff out as I simply wanted it as a static display to hang in my rec room. Last summer I tried my hand at a P-51 Mustang, 60" wing span, again just for display. I needed a break from collecting the model canoes, and I guess the visions of these old 'war birds' emerged from childhood memories and unfulfilled dreams of long ago.

It's been 50 years since I last held an Exacto knife with any serious intent. Learned what it was like to stab myself all over again, and get my fingers covered in glue and well stuck together. These modern CA adhesives are great, but damned hard to get hands unstuck from where they're not supposed to be. I've decided to retire all over again, and leave it to the 'younger crowd' like Chris, who does a far, far better job anyway.

Roger (the old Fokker)

Attachments

• planes 009.jpg
    planes 009.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 555
Did you know that a piece of me is in every canoe model I make? Literally, I stick myself to just about every model at least once! I hurts leaving your fingerprint stuck to some planking!:rolleyes: I made a couple remote control fabric airplanes, the 1st one a friend crashed trying to show me how to fly. The second, I made and sold right after I finished it, didnt have the heart to fly it.

[leave it to the 'younger crowd' like Chris,]

I was given Wooden Canoe magazines last night from 1989 and 1990. Young Christopher Pearson was mentioned. Maybe he's not as young as he looks.

1982?

Wow, in 1982 I was still riding around in a ahem----speed boat. So, how is it you look so much younger than Me? Maybe I wised up to canoes late in life. It is interesting to read through the old Mags and see how some names have changed and some stayed the same. And how the magazine itself has matured over the years. Did you know the 10 year anniversary issue was $7.50? In 1989?

Back