Sailing Skiff

Dale Case

Builder/Restorer
Hi Folks: We've got a Rilco Industries (Lakefeild, Ont.) " Shawnee 63" Model E ,Ser.#1378 in the shop for restoration.Outer stem & outer gunwale ends at the stem rotted away, almost completely. Wondering if one of you good folk could post a pic actual shape of the outer stem & of the joinery at this intersection?? (Where the outers meet the stem). The inner stem is shaped kinda like home plate,but impossible to tell about the outer from the remnants! Also , what's the simplest way to make a new keelson? Thinking about a jig on the router base set at the proper spacing for the ribs (3" o.c.) Thanks in advance:

While I cannot comment on the joinery aspect, I do know that the keelsons were bored two at a time (base to base) with a drill press or similar tool. When you separate the two keelsons, you have perfect semicircle cutouts on each one.

Good luck,

Darryl

edit: I just realized that there is a chance that the ribs arent rounded and that the keelson may have square cutouts. If that is the case a router jig or table saw jig with a dado blade may suffice.

Hi Darryl; Thanks for the quick reply. That is definitley the method to make two keelsons, tho we only need the one. Ribs are 1/2 round, 5/8" on the flat side. I was thinking a 5/8" core box bit to plow the grooves in the keelson. What we really need is a diagram or pic of the outer stem/ outer gunwale joint. Maybe Mr. Persson could chime in....I know he works on a lot lap-jointed, thin ribbed Peterborough & Lakefeild style boats?? Is the outer stem triangular... hex-shaped like the inner (on this one...) Pentagonal???:confused: Thaks again Dale.

Hey Dale,
If the outwale arrangement is anything like the canoes of the era, the outer stem projected right to the top of the deck, the exposed end being covered by the deck cap. The outwales were tapered and overlapped the outer stem. The pic below was taken shortly after I removed the deck and outer stem of my 1910'ish peterborough #44. You can see how the outwales surrounded the outer stem. Like I said, this is a canoe, but I would bet that the construction of your skif would be similar.

Darryl

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 547
Thanks Darryl...Guess I'll just go with triangular, unless someone else chimes in. Wanna get it right tho, as this is supposed to be a restoration...not just a repair.:cool:

Hi Dale,

If I remember correctly the RILCO Shawnee outside stem ends below the outside gunnels that are mitered together.The profile of the outside stem looks something like the sketch below.

Cheers
Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Attachments

• outside-stem-sketch.jpg
    outside-stem-sketch.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 469
Back