Renton /& Rushton - 1880's catalogues

mforder

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello everyone. I'm new here and I admittedly want to say that I am and have always been amazed at the craftsmanship of wooden boats and canoes. I live near a lake that one had many of these on it, Lake Hopatcong, NJ. Unfortunately it is now a speedway for fast boats and we only get to enjoy seeing the old woodies when people feel safe enough to take them out mostly during the weekdays. Canoes on the other hand are rare.

The reason I joined this page it two fold, to see some of the work and images that are done on these boat and the craftsmanship.

The other reason is to share a few images of a couple of catalogues I have in my possession that you may enjoy seeing. It's not much that I have to offer but please consider them as a trinket of appreciation. The are from the early 1880's and are a part of a collection of papers I have that once belonged to a Mr. Charles Steel back in he 1800's who had sense enough to save them. They are now under my watch and I figured that they needed to be shared.

There is a story behind the "Steele Box" but I do not want to bore folks with that and I just want to get to post what this forum is about. If I am out of place please just say so and I will delete this post.

Any feedback is much appreciated and welcomed as well.

Thanks,

---Mark

Renton-1a.jpg
Renton-1b.jpg
Renton-1c.jpg
Renton-1d.jpg

Last edited:
Next is a 1st
Rushton-1a.jpg
Rushton-1b.jpg
Rushton-1c.jpg
Rushton-1d.jpg
Rushton catalogue, there are two. Please know that all of these are very very fragile so it is difficulty to simply scan the entire cat.

I also noticed that the threaded parts on the 3rd page of the Renton catalog appear to have left handed threads. I wonder if this was the case, or if it's the artist's rendition... or maybe it's my eyes?

Probably engraved on the plate with right hand threads then printed.

I do like the sound of the 'Neck yoke for carrying boat' on the last page. That must explain how the fell on the cover makes it look so easy.

Hello all,

Thanks for taking a look at the catalogues and for finding what I posted at least worthy of having a conversation on. The Renton catalogue I can most likely take out and post copies of some of the other pages. I'd have to just watch the binding I think. Yesterday the cover to of one of the Rushton catalogues came off, the paper is somewhat fragile. The catalogues are held together with a string. Let me see what I can do.

---Mark

Back