Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Reliving the past

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Hunter Gee, May 10, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    Hunter Gee

Hunter Gee Curious about Wooden Canoes

Decided to leave them oversized for now.
    Most of one side done.
    Realized another issue: the bow "rise" is one inch higher than the back, causing this difference in side views. I believe that the previous repair was not done very well. I will show a top view of the bow as well - the deck appears to have been installed crooked.
    Now I have a decision to make: should I leave the outwhales unfinished until I do my canvas change this winter? My long-term plan will include replacing the decks at the same time as the canvas.
    TIA
    John

Attached Files:

2. Andy Hutyera

Andy Hutyera The Red Canoe Guy - Life Member

I would suggest at least a coat or two of spar varnish on the outwales to protect them until you get around to canvassing.

Hunter Gee likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Hunter Gee

For sure, Andy!
    I'm hoping that a heat gun will be enough to be able to bend the outwhales up. There is an inch needed in the bow! Anyone think that I should re-align the bow downward? Or, is that a silly question, as Todd would say?
    TIA for any suggestions.
    John 20210518_100245.jpg 20210514_173417.jpg

4. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

I have used a heat gun on occasion to fine tune a bend without steaming. There is not a dramatic bend there..I’ve never done it with a painted hull behind it. Be careful.

ive also made a simple form to do small bends and adjustments.
    Clamp the wale to the form on one end, lay a wet towel over the bend and place a steam iron on it at the highest setting. Then incrementally tighten a clamp on the other end until it conforms.
    Had a photo but must have dumped it. Sorry.

Hunter Gee likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Hunter Gee

The bow is safely in!
    Will re-align during the winter break when I do the re-canvassing.

But, speaking of breaks...
    I suffered a serious setback in the stern.
    The extended gunwhale got caught up in the pile of gardening junk when the sawhorse collapsed. Hoping to epoxy the cracks enough to allow for a scarf repair. Will advise.

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    Hunter Gee

Not the best looking scarf, but it will suffice until the winter when I will replace it along with new canvas and...?
    Heading to the water 2moro for a test paddle. Hoping for the best. 20210530_111906.jpg 20210602_142423.jpg

7. OP
    OP
    Hunter Gee

It was great - no leaks and paddles well. Not only that, it looks good in its natural environment.

Attached Files:

pklonowski and Dave Wermuth like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Hunter Gee

An update on the Huron canoe:
    I had it out again at Quetico Provincial Park, and it knows how to catch fish!
    Not only that, but I have connected with the person who owned it back on 1998. He indicates that he got some advice back then from this group on both of his canoes.
    I have collected some pallets with the idea of building a pair of cradles. It likely will be very basic.
    Any suggestions are welcomed.

Attached Files:

Dan Lindberg likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Hunter Gee

Here's the Huron on new cradles

Attached Files: