Rejoining the Ranks

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
I am happy to report that I will be reopening Dragonfly Canoe Works and returning to the business of building canoes! I will be breaking ground on my new shop in the spring an plan to be building by end of summer... Traditionally built lapstrake canoes will be my focus, and I'll be getting started on some Rushton reproductions (unless someone commissions something else first, nudge, nudge...)

In typical Miller fashion, the shop will be another timber frame, this time a French style frame reflecting the fact that the area we are in was settled by the French, and features curved timbers. See blueprint scans attached below.

I do intend to stay involved with the Museum in several ways, too...

Dan :D :D :D

Attachments

• Longitudinal Section.gif
    Longitudinal Section.gif
    161.6 KB · Views: 378
  • transverse section 2.gif
    transverse section 2.gif
    108.7 KB · Views: 389
Looks awesome but wont it be cold without any wall cladding? Or will you be heading south for the winters..:rolleyes:

Welcome back!!

Love the post and beam construction. Can,t wait to see what great work comes out the doors. My forefathers fought in the war of 1812 at Sackets Harbor.

Welcome back Dan.

That will be another interesting shop.

Is it wide enough?

And I sure hope you don't have to go out on that roof often. :)

Dan

(who hates steeply sloped roofs, got a 10/12 on the cabin, never again)

Dan,

Your anouncement is good news, Peggy and I share your happiness & anticipation. I retire from my job July 15, when Peggy & I will be at Assembly relaunching our preserved IG, Martha Martha, for the first time.

All that remains in the our hamlet of Hulbirtville is the mill, a barn, a few foundations, cemetary, our home & the livery for the mill which we're restoring for our canoe shop & livery. When we bought it, the livery was about as well ventilated as your frame plans. We look forward to finishing it, & have several fun canoe projects to keep us plenty busy.

Now that the holidays are over, today Martha Martha (named for J. Henry's mother & sister) comes into the house so we can continue to work on her, (big house, great wife). We'll have her in Canton, the middle of May, hope to see you there.

We are happy for you,
Dave & Peggy Davidson

Back