Refurbishing old stripper, comments or suggestions

Jestep

Curious about Wooden Canoes
First post, so apologies for just jumping in without any other activity here.

We just got done with an 18' 6" stripper. We are now planning on refurbishing a old family built canoe that is in fairly bad shape. The hull is still sound, but realistically all wood consumables need to be replaced.

My biggest concern though is refinishing the hull. I'm fairly certain that my family never used any varnish on the canoe at all. They also applied several new coats of epoxy at some point, so it's a bit of a beast for a 17' canoe.

My current plans are replacing the gunwales, seats, yoke, thwarts, etc... This should all be fairly straight forward. Sheerline still looks good, and from what I can tell, there's no damage or rotting to any of the strips along the sheerline.

As for the hull, I am thinking of sanding down the epoxy considerably, but not enough to compromise the glass on the inner or outer surfaces. Then plan on 2 or 3 light coats of silver tip, and then 4 or 5 coats of varnish. My main concerns, are whether the new epoxy will properly bond to the old and completely unknown epoxy. Anyway, has anyone refurbished a canoe like this, will this plan work, at least in theory? I really don't want to go through the glass if at all possible.

You're looking at a huge job... it might actually be easier to build a new one. After I cracked up my strip & glass boat, I fixed it, but won't ever again...

Yeah we figured it won't be a weekend job. Has enough sentimental value that I think it's worth the effort, or at least I'll say that until we get about 20 hours into it...

As you know from building the 18' 6" the sanding will be the nastiest part. By the time you get close to the glass I don't think you will have any compatability problems with the new epoxy as long as you clean it well with the appropriate solvent. Most of the canoes I have restored would have been easier to build new but that is not always the point. Please post pictures as you go. Pete

Here's some pictures after we moved it into a garage.

canoe1.jpg

canoe2.jpg

canoe3.jpg

canoe4.jpg

canoe5.jpg

canoe6.jpg

canoe7.jpg

Don't have any of the inside, but you can see the gunwale conditions.

Here's a picture of the new one, just before it was finished.

new-canoe-1.jpg

white guide 4.jpegGreat pictures. Is the new canoe a EM White design? That was the first stripper I built and still our favorite canoe. Pete

Yes, it's based on that design.

We figured we go big with our first one as we were wanting an expedition boat that could handle a child and dog in it as well. What's the weight on yours? Ours came in a bit heavier than we were hoping, about 74, but it's a huge canoe so not completely unexpected. Much of that weight can probably be attributed to us having no clue at the time on how to properly epoxy, so there's got to be a few pounds extra on it from that alone.

You're gonna need a lot more wine.. Actually doesnt look too bad, hull wise. Please update us as it progresses.

Back