Raising Day

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
Today is a momentous day (at least in my little world)! The last stick for my shop is finished. No more mortices to chop, no more tenons to cut. Only 150 or so pins to whittle.:D

Raising day has been scheduled for Saturday, October 26.

Any of you canoeheads within shooting distance of up-upstate New York are welcome to join us for breakfast bagels, lunch, post-raising libations and some lifting of heavy timbers. Shoot me an email or PM if interested and I will provide details.

Once the frame is up, maybe I will update the homepage of my website...

What are you paying for mileage? I can do it in km so its cheaper if you like....;);)
Rob and i can carpool to save you some $

Here is day one of the raising:

[video=youtube;E25iZzFfJ7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E25iZzFfJ7k&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Time-lapse photography by my son Ethan.

Raising part 2 should take place this coming weekend (Nov 1-2) - ping me if you want to participate.

Very very nice. I always envy the timber framed abode. I've done some but for the lone workman, stick framing is necessary. Besides, how long will I live here? You're obviously in it for the long haul. Beautiful.

Exciting and very cool. The time lapse is absolutely great to watch.
I watched a barn raising in Dekalb not too long ago. It's really amazing to watch the the roof go on. Good luck with finishing up.

Main frame is up! Rafters to go, yet.

main%20frame%20up.jpg

Here is the frame finished and awaiting closing-in.

Dan

Attachments

• main frame up-2.jpg
    main frame up-2.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 347
  • main frame up-3.jpg
    main frame up-3.jpg
    757 KB · Views: 350
  • main frame up-4.jpg
    main frame up-4.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 353
  • main frame up-5.jpg
    main frame up-5.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 344
  • main frame up-1.jpg
    main frame up-1.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 352
Incredible engineering Dan. You will be well prepared if Global Warming brings 25 foot snow packs to your part of the world.

R.C.

Making Progress! All the sheathing (= interior walls and ceiling) is on, and insulating is begun.

closing%20in.jpg

and

on%20the%20roof.jpg

Dan

Making Progress! All the sheathing (= interior walls and ceiling) is on, and insulating is begun.

closing%20in.jpg

and

on%20the%20roof.jpg

Dan

Ah, brings back fond memories of sore muscles and aching calves. Where are you using the hard foam, on top of the roof decking or on the walls? Metal or asphalt roof, or are you going all out and using slate and copper? :cool:
You're doing the roof all wrong though.....

Attachments

• bobcat.jpg
    bobcat.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 322
Where are you using the hard foam, on top of the roof decking or on the walls? Metal or asphalt roof, or are you going all out and using slate and copper? :cool:
You're doing the roof all wrong though.....

How so?

Polyiso on roof and walls over sheathing. Metal roof is the plan.

Back