Plug for boat carrier- ABC

Michael Grace

Lifetime Member
Affordable Boat Carriers was recently purchased by Jay and Tami Baker of Tampa, FL (from Jim Mascis of Palm Bay, FL). The old ABC generated very mixed reviews- I had no problems with them but others were very frustrated by theor performance. The new ABC is simply outstanding! I have used them two times recently to transport 4 canoes, some from the northwest to FL and some from the NE to FL. ABC has done an excellent job each time, and they keep customers constantly up-to-date with regular unsolicited emails.

Their web site:
http://affordableboatcarriers.net/default.aspx

Note- I have no financial interest in ABC, and I do not stand to gain in any way by endorsing them. However, it is in all of our best interests to have a conscientious carrier available when we need them. I hope ABC's business continues to grow so that their services will remain available to all of us. Given their track record thus far, they are sure to continue adding new satisfied customers.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael,

A question, could you give us an idea what that type of shipping might cost?
ie, is it worth considering for a "project", or is it only for higher end boats?

Dan

Hi Dan,

Of course I don't want to quote prices for someone else's business, especially with the rising prices of gas (now DOUBLE that of 8 years ago!). Here is a ballpark discussion, however. Costs will depend upon distance, accessibility, number of boats, etc. A likely price might be between $300-$500 per canoe depending upon these factors. Contact ABC directly for a quote- they are very responsive.

Two benefits here: (1) such service from other types of commercial carriers can be much more expensive, and (2) these guys have trailers built for canoe/kayak/shell transport and they know how to transport wooden boats safely. They are also very conscientious- I had a canoe shipped to me that ABC felt needed better protection- they proactively spent the time and and energy to get materials and wrap it well for a very long haul. I was impressed!

Such cost may represent a significant addition to the total cost of a small boat, so the individual must decide its worth. But even at these costs, long-distance transport is likely to be far more expensive in gas and time if you travel yourself. Personally, I've traveled great distances myself to move particularly important boats, but I've trusted ABC with some special ones and they (ABC) have always done well for me. They also service a variety of boat builders, restorers and dealers in addition to working with individuals on a regular basis.

Michael

Back