Penn Yan tinted varnish

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I've just started stripping a Penn Yan Scout. I've restored several Penn Yans over the years, and I've noticed that they all have had a reddish mahogany-like tint to the varnished interior. This tint must have been mixed with the varnish because it's color is always gone after the wood is stripped. For this canoe I though I'd try to match the red tint when it comes time to varnish. So... anyone have suggestions on how to tint varnish? I found a posting answered a while back by Gil who suggested that Pettit Red Mahogany stain might be a good match for the Penn Yan color. Do you think this Pettit product can be mixed with a varnish - I typically use TotalBoat Gleam which claims to have 'Tung Oil, phenolice resins, and UV inhibitors'.

Here's the color: Pic #1 shows three PY thwarts sitting on a Morris with mahogany thwarts and seats and white cedar planking; the 2nd pic shows the thwarts on an OT Yankee with red cedar planking.
20200930_124549.jpg 20200930_124457.jpg

I am partial to Transtint dyes. Available from Rockler and Amazon. They mix with varnishes as well as most finish solvents and have a wide selection of colors. The only down side is that the are a bit pricey.

Back