painter ring

David Satter

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Not the one that bolts thru the deck. The larger one that's riveted usually thru the outside stem on the front of square sterns. Sometime used to pull it up on a trailer. Shaped like a V anybody make them or have one. thanks, Dave

Yes I guess you would call it a bobstay fitting. A square stern canoe wouldn't have a bobstay though. unless it had a bowsprit. Is that what they called it back then?. I have two square sterns where their missing. Not sure where they went to. I guess over the years I've never had to replace one. I'll look at Springfield co. they sound interesting. Your right I think they might be hard to find I took a quick look at people who build new square sterns and they have a different fitting on the bow stem.

A bobstay is a wire. What you are looking for would be called a lower bobstay fitting - also sometimes called a bobstay chain plate.

one type:
https://www.spartanmarine.com/all-products/lower-bobstay-chainplate-assembly-12

another type
1869.jpg

You can also search "bow eyes" or marine towing eyes for a variety of similar fittings, usually bolted through the stem.
https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Stainless-Boston-Whaler-Exterior/dp/B01F4RXDTI

Last edited:
Check with Ross Bro’s. if you are looking for this.

Attachments

• EBA6F26E-37EA-4CED-B45B-CE6EB1825BE2.png
    EBA6F26E-37EA-4CED-B45B-CE6EB1825BE2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 348
Dave that's a good idea, I've met him at the wooden boat show at mystic. He always has tons of stuff. Much more than is on his site. His stuff at the show is usually $$$$$ though I'm not complaining , my prices are a little high also.

I've sometimes found the Old Town-style bobstay fitting in the hardware bins at old marinas, and usually cheap: $2-$5.

I like painter rings but will never install one, because it would be too temping to line a boat with it.
Better to pull from a lower position in fast water.

Where does one find a "3/8" bow eye strap? I'd really like one for my 18ft OT guide.

Those aren't what I'm looking for. Dave Osborn shows what I want in #7.I'm waiting for an email response from Ross Bros. but hoped for other sources.

Thanks Benson. Pulled in last night after a 12 hour drive through the lovely weather around Buffalo after picking up a 1926 OT Square stern. Will get pics tomorrow. Some modifications to it but in pretty good shape. Had sponsons but they were removed. We bundled the square stern 4 oars, some paddles, and a 1926 OT 18' Charles River that needs a bit of work...great guy to deal with. Seller was up in Cato NY, I think he may have been one of the original WCHA gents. MTF

Back