Outwalls For Old Town Trapper 17

gary visser

I'm sorry, I bet this is somewhere in the forums, but I did look first! I'm replacing the outwalls (gunnels) of an Old Town Trapper 17, 1962 wood with factory fiberglass skin. I'd like to know what wood was used so I can keep this as close to original as possible. Many thanks.

Last edited:
I was wrong, she's a 15' . The serial number is 179052 15 . Is it possible to ask the history of this canoe? I know she would have been sold thru the dealer Ludens Marine, interesting as they sold ships stores way back when sailing ships worked from Charleston SC's harbor. They were on the waterfront, then moved several blocks inland in the 1990's and sadly now have closed. The boat is in lovely shape, only needs a few frame ends and the outwalls replaced. The finish is good enough to simply polish and clean up.
Gary

The Old Town canoe with serial number 179052 is a 15 foot long Trapper model with a keel and fiberglass covering instead of canvas. It was built in October, 1967. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on January 19th, 1968 to Charleston, South Carolina. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

179052.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

View attachment 41098 I should preface this by saying how much I appreciate the advice and support I've found on this forum, "canoe folks' are good people and I appreciate the information.
So now I've ripped the stock from mahogany (nice to live in a town where you can stroll into a real lumber yard and get 16' mahogany lumber!) for the outwalls and run some stock to scarf in the 12" replacement pieces for the inwalls. So, two questions:

Does the outwall gunnel have a cut made to it's inside (hidden) edge to allow for the overlap and thickness of the hull? With an inside cut it could allow the outwall to tightly sandwich the hood ends of the ribs and the inwalls. I'll try and add a picture of some waste stock where I made the cut into the outwall.

second, how were the gunnels/outwalls attached to the ribs and inwalls? I've got none of the old stock to inspect, looks like there was a clinch nail or screw thru the outwall and rib running into the inwall. I assume with generous glue that's the sandwich and stiffens the hull?

Now I'll try and upload some pictures...try try. Many thanks.

Back