OTCA Seat back

Norm Hein

Canoe Codger
I was very fortunate to get this 1965 17' Old Town OTCA from one of our members, Martha in Michigan recently. I am wanting to make an original style seat back for the bow seat. Where can I find a drawing or measurement s for one? I searched but came up with nothing.
Thanks,
Norm
OTCA Truck.JPG
OTCA House.JPG

The seat and back rest options shown in the 1965 catalog are in the first image below if you are seeking a period correct option. The back rests that attach directly to the seat were first introduced in 1993 as shown in the second image. Which are you seeking?

Benson

PAGE-07.JPG

Seat-back-1993.jpg

Thanks Craig. So I am assuming that they just are "wedged" between the back rail of the seat and the thwart, setting on the floor?

Not between the seat and thwart, just on the floor and leaning against the thwart. It is a backrest for someone sitting on the bottom of the canoe. It is not a backrest for someone sitting on the seat. I dont know if they ever made backrests for the seats but someone will pipe up.
Not ash. Probably fir or spruce?

My guess is that these are made from spruce. Some of the older ones were made from mahogany. Each slat is about 1.25 by 0.25 inches and the sides are each about 1.5 by 0.5 inches. These show up regularly on eBay and elsewhere if you aren't in a hurry. Good luck,

Benson

Back