On A Canoe Trip Along The U.s.-canada Border, Solitude And Shooting Stars

Thanks for posting this, Jeff. It went very well with the morning coffee.

Fitz

Nice article. It brings back some memories. When the boys were small I wanted them to experience some easy and small rapids. The St. Croix seemed like the perfect place to go. It's picturesque, it's an easy paddle, it's in a part of Maine that we love and it has the one little drop that was a hoot to run over and over again with them.
My wife, my paddling partner, was going to have to take the stern on one of the canoes. She'd done this often enough on lakes, ponds, rivers but never in riffles. To get them into the spirit and help them with scale and perspective I decided we should do a quick Whitewater rafting experience before hand. The day before we put in on the St. Croix we ran the Dead...oh boy...the St. Croix was a walk in the park after that.
The thing we all remember most about the trip (other than running that drop at least 10 times and my wife and son stuck sideways on a rock) was waking up one morning to the sound of an ATV driving down a trail about 20 feet behind our tent....some Canadian side tent sites back up to an ATV trail/road. Who would have thunk it.

Back