Old Town?

I'm always amazed when seeing pics of folks standing in a canoe, either fishing or poling.
Growing up in MN, lake country, I was always told to never stand in a boat.
These days you do see some folks standing, usually bass fisherman casting,
and sometimes you see 'eye fisherman casting to shallow water, but most folks are sitting, jigging or trolling.

Very few fly fisherman on the lakes in MN, they pretty much stick to the streams/rivers on the North Shore or the SE part of the state.

Dan

I never had much of a problem fly casting while standing in our 1916 Old Town.

• Haha
Reactions: MGC
I'm always amazed when seeing pics of folks standing in a canoe, either fishing or poling.
Growing up in MN, lake country, I was always told to never stand in a boat.
We may have been told the same thing, but growing up polling and gunwale pumping, standing in a canoe was really a normal thing. I still stand to paddle in some situations. I'm not as steady on my feet as I once was, but I still stand to cast...but not in rough water, for fishing.
I still make a habit of standing to look a drop over when I enter a rapid. Getting up on your feet helps you get a better view of the (possible) lines.
And, if you bow fish for carp, you need to stand in order to see the fish and to draw. My father actually built a platform to sit on the rails of his White for carp fishing. The shooter would stand on the platform as my father guided the canoe around.
As far as I know, no one ever dumped.
I used to be able to say that the only time I ever dumped was on purpose and once in a class 4 rapids with my buddy Dick. I had told Dick "never reach for the low side on a haystack".
Then I met my wife....on one of our first dates she put us in while she was reaching for berries on the shoreline. I never saw it coming. Either the bath or the marriage.

Hi Dan, I always jokingly said that the word "canoe" was native american for "don't stand up". And Fly fishing is all I do. Some of my best fly fishing trips were the lakes of Quetico where I caught bass, pike and lake trout while fly fishing. I tried for walleye but never caught one in the park on a fly. I have video of Ferdy catching a bass on a fly rod with a fly he tied using a Moose turd. He was in the bow of my '26 HW and he was sitting down. -Dave

Lake Trout on a fly - wow, was this early?

And I should clarify, my amazement at standing in a canoe is only partially (small) that folks do it, and mostly at the skill they show doing it.

Dan
I can't even keep a HW upright (anymore) unless I get on my knees.

What would amaze me is someone catching a walleye on a fly. I have never seen that done.
Togue hit streamers in the spring if you hit the water conditions just right.
If you are not comfortable standing in a canoe, a "trick" I teach is to wedge your legs up to the rails and become one with the boat. That is handy a handy way for someone to scout a rapid. For casting flies, a nice broad stance is the ticket. Generally, you don't need to cast as much line from a canoe in that you can usually get somewhat close to where you need to cast. Consequently, the casts tend to be a bit less aggressive. Give it a try. You might be surprised at how easy it is. Most canoes are pretty tame until you heel them up to the rails.

Dan L. The laker was on a streamer. It was the first week of june. I have seen them come up under mayflies as well. I've taken walleye on the fly but not in Q'co. Drift a clouser and you never know what will eat.

:) - I understand the "June" part, but the rest is "French" to me.
I've on occasion thought about getting a fly rod to fish the smallmouth in our lake, but haven't done anything about it.
I don't know/remember if I've even held a flyrod, Dad was a "meat" fishermen and only fished for 'eyes or Northern's,
meaning boats and deep'ish water.

Back