Old style oar locks

Blue Viking

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I am currently workingwith a friend restoring a sponsoned Old town Wood and canvas canoe. We have the antique oar lock bases, but unfortunately, the seller could not find the actually oar locks that twist on.

Anyone have a source or information where we could acquire these?..The bases are brass.

Will try to attach a photo of the type we are looking for that was on a similar boat that sold on Ebay.

Attachments

• bf79_1.jpg
    bf79_1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 691
Those are usually referred to as "Patent Swivel Oarlocks", though I have yet to find an actual patent for them. They were commonly used on Old Town canoes and boats, but were made by Wilcox-Crittenden, and perhaps other foundries as well.

They appear with regularity on Ebay. The problem is that matching a set of horns to a set of bases is not as simple as you might think. If you are lucky, they will match, less lucky and you'll have some filing to do, less lucky than that and you'll have an extra set of horns looking for bases. You might be better off buying a matching set of horns and bases to begin with. Again, these are regulars on Ebay (there is a set ending later today), or if your pockets are deep, you can buy them new from Shaw and Tenney.

Thanks Dan, We were planning a trip down that way soon and will talk to them at Shaw and Tenney. I know of a place in Lancster NH that has the complete sets but these are not brass...Hope someone has an affordable pair on here and is willing to part with them. Aways a pleasure to see you jump right in with great information and suggestions.

Thanks for all the input. that's why I enjoy being a member...Ask a question and get an answer, and its the right answer!....Currentlly using my paddles as snow shovels!:eek:

Back