O/t canoe holders

The Old Town Canoe display racks like the one shown below (without the sign on top) are about 92 inches high by 72 inches wide with arms that are about 40 inches long and slant down at about 10 degrees. There are also two diagonal cross braces in an 'x' on the back which are roughly 89 inches long. All of the wood is around 1.5 inches thick except for the cross braces which are around one inch thick. Let me know if you want more details.

Benson

Attachments

• O-T-RACK.JPG
    O-T-RACK.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:
Ot decals

This picture got me wondering when the OT canoes started getting the Decals amidships.
peac e
Matthew

Canoe holder?

Thanks for getting back with me. What I was looking for was the one you use to work on a canoe with the firehose straps going a cross them. Thank You Lawrence H.

Mine are 27" wide, 26" tall... adjust to taste. Sometimes I wish it were taller, but other times I'm glad it's not. Depends on what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

Old carpet works well, in place of firehose.

Last edited:
Canoeholder

Thanks pklonowski. I was thinking of makeing them adj. up an down. That would make so you can stand upan work on the canoe. LH

Thanks for getting back with me. What I was looking for was the one you use to work on a canoe with the firehose straps going a cross them. Thank You Lawrence H.

Check out the canoeguys blog he has a section on building what I think you are looking for good luck Jon K;

The dimensions on the pictured rack are -- height 3 ft, width 2' 8". The slings are made from an old beach towel, and their length can be adjusted removing one of the clamping blocks.

Attachments

• rack 1 sm.JPG
    rack 1 sm.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 562
  • rack 2 sm.JPG
    rack 2 sm.JPG
    468.1 KB · Views: 536
additional photo

here is a pair of sawhorses from my extensive sawhorse collection. I have some adaptations to Greg's version.
I have a flat board that sits atop the sawhorse and has trim piece afixed to the ends and sides of the ends of the boards so that it stays put. i also have brackets on the horses down low that hold the flat boards when they are not being used. I use scrap canvas for the hammock portion.

You can never have too many sawhorses or clamps.

Attachments

• 100_0625.JPG
    100_0625.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 600
deeper

My sling is deeper than others I have seen, an accident of not having seen others before I built mine, but it holds the canoe very firmly 360 degrees and has the added advantage that when I needed to bend ribs I could drop the sling and add a temporary strongback to shim the ribs tight to the keel line. The fire hose really works well and doesn't stretch or wear out.
Craig

Attachments

• DSC_0044_3.jpg
    DSC_0044_3.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 522
  • DSC_0045_3.jpg
    DSC_0045_3.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 584
  • DSC_0049_3.jpg
    DSC_0049_3.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 512
  • DSC_0045_6.jpg
    DSC_0045_6.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 573
Canoe holder

Thanks Dave & Nolan Soon as I get my snow plow ready for whats about to come I can get working on the sawhores you gus are a lot of help Im new at this. I had alum. an fiberglass canoes. Now I have a 1939 o/t needs a lot of work.Ill be joining WCHA before long. Thanks to all of you. LH:)

I've never felt comfortable using old carpet as sling material, so I get flat nylon webbing, and string it through carpet to soften it's contact with the canoe.

It's much stronger then a piece of old carpet, and thin enough to easily run though "block to clamp and adjust the length.

As Dave says, you can't have too many sawhorses, and I use std flat top ones when needed.

Dan

o/t canoe holder

Thanks Greg I had seen that set up. I was thinking of makeing the sawhorse an make two routing in the boards that would slid up an down to make it higher or lower. I hope you understand what Im trying to say. Thank You Lawrence H. When I do it Ill send pics. Sometime in spring. :(

Back