Northland Adventures T.V Show

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
Hi All!
Just a note to those of you in the midwest....... Margaret Fisher (Splinter) and myself were flimed by the TV show, Northland Adventures last week. The focus is on the restoration of a canoe that I'm currently working on. It is a 1935 OT Yankee that was purchased by Sigurd Olson for his Border Lakes Outfitters business. The footage will be edited to about 8 minutes of air time. The show will air on the following stations, Saturday and Sunday January 27, and 28.
Here are the times:

Milwaukee: WISN: Saturday 1:35 a.m. (good God! That's the middle of
the night!)
> Madison: WKOW: Sunday 11:05 p.m. (that's a little better....)
> Wausau: WAOW: Sunday 11:05 p.m.
> Eagle River, WI: WYOW: Sunday 11:05 p.m.
> Eau Claire, WI: WQOW: Saturday 6:30 p.m. & Sunday 10:35 p.m.
> Green Bay, WI: WFRV: Saturday 11:05 p.m.
> Lacrosse, WI: WXOW: Saturday 6:30 p.m. & Sunday 10:35 p.m.
> Duluth: KDLH: Sunday 6:30 a.m.
> Rochester, MN: KTTC: Sunday 6:30 a.m.
> Rockford, IL: WREX: Saturday 6:00 a.m.
> Quincy, IL: WGEM: Saturday 6:00 p.m. & CGEM Sunday 10:30 a.m.
> Escanaba MI: WJMN: Sunday 11:05 pm.

Last edited:
Will there be any Internet link for those that are not in the viewing area?

Thanks,

Ric Altfather

Dave Osborn said:
Hi All!
Just a note to those of you in the midwest....... Margaret Fisher (Splinter) and myself were flimed by the TV show, Northland Adventures last week. The focus is on the restoration of a canoe that I'm currently working on. It is a 1935 OT Yankee that was purchased by Sigurd Olson for his Border Lakes Outfitters business. The footage will be edited to about 8 minutes of air time. The show will air on the following stations, Saturday and Sunday January 27, and 28.
Here are the times:

Milwaukee: WISN: Saturday 1:35 a.m. (good God! That's the middle of
the night!)
> Madison: WKOW: Sunday 11:05 p.m. (that's a little better....)
> Wausau: WAOW: Sunday 11:05 p.m.
> Eagle River, WI: WYOW: Sunday 11:05 p.m.
> Eau Claire, WI: WQOW: Saturday 6:30 p.m. & Sunday 10:35 p.m.
> Green Bay, WI: WFRV: Saturday 11:05 p.m.
> Lacrosse, WI: WXOW: Saturday 6:30 p.m. & Sunday 10:35 p.m.
> Duluth: KDLH: Sunday 6:30 a.m.
> Rochester, MN: KTTC: Sunday 6:30 a.m.
> Rockford, IL: WREX: Saturday 6:00 a.m.
> Quincy, IL: WGEM: Saturday 6:00 p.m. & CGEM Sunday 10:30 a.m.
> Escanaba MI: WJMN: Sunday 11:05 pm.

www.northlandadventures.com

Ric,
They sell current episodes within a couple of weeks of airing. I'm supposed to get a DVD in the mail of the episode. It's probably some legal infringement if I upload that portion of the show to distribute. (If I could even figure out how to do that!!)
Dave

Hey Dave If you decided to do the infringement thing so we can all see the footage We would set up times to come visit you in the pokey, bring you cigarettes ,files in cakes,that sort of stuff. :D

avoiding the pokey

Might be worthwhile to find out if it's okay to upload that small portion of the show to a non-profit (.org) website! Or at least use that defense ("But I thought it would be okay cuz it's a non-profit organization...") when the guys in uniform come for you.

Dave,

How much work did you show/get done if they were only there 1 day?

And how far are you along on it, will it be ready for water this summer?
You should bring it up the Ely to get it wet either over at Fall Lake near BLO or out at Listening Point.

As for the show, looks like it's a Wis show that isn't shown in the Citites. Will need to see the DVD.

Good Luck,
Dan

Where it's shown

ND, WY, SD, NE, IA, MN, WI, IL, MI, & IN all have a couple stations that carry it. It is NOT on PBS. Stations in the Twin Cities don't have it because they want Northland Adventures to pay $1,500.00 to air it. Everyone else is happy to get it and will air it for free. If we have any members who are in any of the states that I didn't mention on the list we posted already, I will add those stations if requested. I didn't originally because I didn't think we had any canoe buffs in Bismark ND, Sheridan Wyoming, etc. Ask and you shall receive. Splinter

Dan,
We didn't actually do much work on the canoe during the filming. I replaced one small section of planking. They filmed me cutting it to fit and Margaret holding the clinching iron underneath. Other than that there was some general w/c canoe discussion as well as looking at the build record and some of the BLO photos/history that I have.

As far as, will it float this summer? Maybe..... All of the &^^%$##* fiberglass and &&^%$$#@ resin is now removed for the most part (thanks to Splinter's help). All of the damaged planks from glass encapsulation have been replaced. I'm stripping it now, then need to replace inner and outer wales, then you know the rest of the drill.........

Attached are the &%%*&^ photos of the *&&^&%* resin.

Attachments

• IMG00003.jpg
    IMG00003.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG00002.jpg
    IMG00002.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 385
It's a wreck

BUT, it's going to be Marvelous!!!! It was an honor to have helped you get past the miserable job of removing all that awful resin. It was fun to think that Sig himself might have been in this canoe thinking of all the meaningful things he would write. It felt like the circle was complete in a way. Only a few first degree burns and one melted paint scrapper; not bad. Now it's really on it's way. You will do a brilliant job finishing the rest and you know you can always count on me to help especially for filling and stretching and squeezing... Just yell. (Well, call or email. You're 2 hours away and have a soft voice.) I believe it WILL FLOAT this summer! Perhaps at Listening Point or in Ely. I will be happy to provide a bottle of Champagne for it's launching ceremony, in which Sig is toasted and quoted and we all hoist one in his honor. Best Wishes.

Back