Next Project

bartcanoe

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I know I'm crazy because I just started my current project (restoration of Aquacraft Camper), and it will be months before I get to my next project.

Anyway, I want to build a wood stripper next, and I want it to be a design that makes a fast solo canoe. A canoe that can be used to race, workout, long day paddles, and some very light tripping, e.g. overnight trips.

Any ideas or where to conduct some research?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
Look at a Redbird. I can't recall who sells the plans. The one I did was fast, fast. But too tender for me.

Seems like you need to narrow down the options a bit.

Do you want a modern or traditional design? Will you use it only as a solo or sometimes a tandom?
What balance of speed vs stability do you want/need? What is your level of paddling capability?
Will you fish from it or only paddle? What kind of water do you think you will paddle? ie, small stream/river, small/large lakes, flat or moving water?

There are many, many designs offered, start with a web search, and/or this site, which lists many places that sell plans.

BTW, (IIRC) the Redbird is a Ted Moores/Bear Mountian design, it's a tandom, it was way too tender for me also.

If at all possible, once you find a few designs you"think" you like, find one to test paddle. You might be surprised.

Also, don't assume you will build only one, once you have the forms, tools and materials, you will likely make more.

Dan

"a fast solo canoe. A canoe that can be used to race, workout, long day paddles, and some very light tripping"

Do you want a modern or traditional design? Will you use it only as a solo or sometimes a tandom?
What balance of speed vs stability do you want/need? What is your level of paddling capability?
Will you fish from it or only paddle? What kind of water do you think you will paddle? ie, small stream/river, small/large lakes, flat or moving water?

I planned on a modern design simply to get the performance I want.

It will be solely for solo. I have a few tandem boats, so no need for another which I guess in a way rules out the Redbird.

I want the speed, I currently paddle a GRB Classic XL, so I feel pretty confident about handling a boat that many would consider unstable/tender. Pretty experienced paddler (wouldn't say expert), for the lack of better term, intermediate.

Not much of a fisherman, and I could always use one of my other boats if that was part of the plan.

Mostly be used in larger rivers (slow moving), lakes of all sizes and even some coastal if the design is capable. (Coastal is not a priority).

I've found a couple that seem to fit, Bear Mountain Solo Tripper 17 and the John Winters' Barracuda. However, the one thing I should have pointed out is that I weigh about 230 and gear for any weekend trip would be less than 25 pounds, so I don't know about the Barracuda. Anyone out there with any experience with either one of these? Or know of any others out there that fit what I'm looking for?

Check out NW Canoe, they sell their own plans, and the Merlin and I see now John Winter's plans. In addition to the Merlin, there is also a 38 special, not sure where to find the plan, that is a larger Merlin (IIRC). Another narrow "go fasty" of the MCA tradition.

Also, the MCA sells plans, not sure that they have these days.
http://www.canoe-kayak.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=709151&module_id=95917

You also might like to see their page on canoe racing (the MCA came from the long distance racing of the 1940's, and they have been promoting it and selling canoe plans as a result of it for many years.)
http://www.canoe-kayak.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=709151&module_id=95907

Dan

http://www.northwestcanoe.com/canoes.html

Last edited:
There's also the option of finding a canoe you like, that fits your intended use, and lofting the lines off it, to build a reasonably close replica.

Now that opens a can of worms....

I've actually looked at that design, and have sent some questions to Bear Mountain about the design. I'm concerned that my weight may cause some performance issues since they have the displacement listed at 244 lbs.

Thanks,

Dave

Looks like the Bear Mountain Solo Tripper 17 is the winner. Now, back to restoring the Aquacraft, the next project is months away.

I hope you realize that, in the months between now and when you[re ready to start the next project, your essential criteria may change... it's just Murphy's Law...
:rolleyes:

Back