New Robertson

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
I picked up a Robertson a little while ago and now its time to get going on it. It is #3319, 16 foot, outside stem, keel, closed gunwales and solid seats. There has been work done on it in the past and there are a few things that don't look right to me. First, the decks are replacements, so what is the correct length and width of them. I presume they are the three lobed style. The inner gunwale looks a little big to me, does anyone have the correct measurements of the IG, OG and rail cap or a photo of then so I can scale them. Also the first cant rib on both ends have a "clipped" corner that fits into the IG. It looks odd but it is consistant on all 4 ribs. This canoe was built close to me in the Worcester,Ma area so I want to try to get it as close to original as possible. Thanks for any help, Joe DSC_1384.JPG DSC_1435.JPG DSC_1437.JPG DSC_1439.JPG
DSC_1384.JPG
DSC_1435.JPG
DSC_1437.JPG
DSC_1439.JPG
DSC_1384.JPG DSC_1435.JPG DSC_1437.JPG DSC_1439.JPG DSC_1384.JPG DSC_1435.JPG DSC_1437.JPG DSC_1439.JPG

Ti:
There might be a clue as to the inwhale dimension in the varnish pattern on the thwarts after you remove one.

Thanks I’ll give that a try. It will give me the thickness but not the depth. It’s more than I have now.

They look taller than the ones that I have seen pictures of on this site. Mine are almost 1 7/8 tall by 7/8 wide. Are there any old catalogs that have pictures or sizes? The notches for the first cant rib in the inner gunwale isn’t something I have seen before as well.

Not having seen something before doesn't mean it isn't right. Inwales on closed-gunwale canoes were often made heavier, as they are sole structural component of the gunwales. If the inwales have been replaced, I would expect to see evidence of refastening and damage to the sheer planks.

Thanks for the insight, the sheer planking has been replaced. If these are replacement inners then whoever did them did a great job because the feathered ends of the ribs are in nice shape. I think that I should leave then as they are. Thanks

Back