New guy from Quebec

Dabluz

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi,

I'm Dan from the Saguenay region of Quebec.
2 years ago, I bought a 16 foot cedar strip square backed canoe. I now have decided to restore the canoe and will be doing that within the next few weeks. I'm sure that I will be asking a bunch of questions that have already been asked.....lol.

Hey dan,

There can sometimes be "a new slant" to an old question-- and new folks here to provide their own perspective-- so don't worry about asking questions.

A book that many have found helpful with the basics of canoe restoration is "The Wood and Canvas Canoe" by Stelmok and Thurlow, which is available on Amazon or perhaps your local library (currently out of stock in the WCHA store).

Welcome!

Kathy

I live in a very special place Kathryn. First of all, it's close to 100% french speaking up here. Very few people can even utter a few words in English so books in English are rare. Next....getting materials for restoring canoes or building canoes and boats is impossible and/or very expensive. I've had quotes of up to 1000 dollars just to buy epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth...lol. I bought my stuff in Quebec city which is about 200 miles south of where I live. The cheapest gallon of resin I could get here cost 120 dollars while the gallon I bought in Quebec city cost me 70 dollars. So, you can imagine that information on restoring canoes is difficult to find up here. Now here's the wierd part.....this area has about the largest number of canoes per capita in the whole world. My area is litterly dotted with small lakes. All of them have brook trout. Most have nothing else than brook trout....not even any baitfish. Everybody has a canoe up here. Just about everybody goes trout fishing.

The welcoming committee here is the lamest of all the forums I belong to.... So I say welcome aboard and I am a new guy!!!

The welcoming committee here is the lamest of all the forums I belong to.... So I say welcome aboard and I am a new guy!!!

Note that the welcoming committee addressed Dan within a few hours of his post, and we await his questions. Not a wonderful comment on your part.

Dan, I'm thinking you might contact one of the Canadian builders who are members of the WCHA and see if you can't get the supplies you need through him or her. There is a builders and suppliers section on this website.

Maybe it's time to publish a new edition of "The Wood and Canvas Canoe", and issue a French translation as well!

Kathy

The welcoming messages I have received so far have been more numerous than what I have received from most of the other sites that I frequent. I know that when I see a newbie on the sites I visit often.....I don't give out a welcome....lol.

I've been doing a lot of reading these past few weeks and I have learned a lot from a whole bunch of different sites. I know now that my canoe was made during the era of canvas canoes. Since it has larger planks of cedar, small gaps between the planks, nail heads, cracks etc, I have decided to paint over the fiberglass job that I will be giving it. I even did some reading on the installation and use of a router. I have a nice router but have not used it yet. I think I will have to use it in order to make a few parts for my canoe. I've also been doing a lot of reading about glues, fiberglassing, paddle making and a bunch of other stuff concerning canoeing.

I'm having a real hard time finding materials to restore the canoe. Since I happened to go to Quebec City a couple of weeks ago, I did buy some epoxy resin (ratio 2 to 1) and some fiberglass cloth 60 inches wide for a very decent price (200 dollars). Up here where I live, I got estimates up to 5 times that amount. I want to use 3/4 inch (2 of them) marine grade plywood but not available in my region. I'm searching for some half round aluminum or brass 1/2 inch wide trim to protect the ends of the canoe. I should be able to find some hardwood for the front deck and I may even add 2 small decks and a transom reinforcer at the rear of my square back canoe to replace the ugly angle iron that was installed by the manufacturer or somebody else in the past.

I am a bit disappointed in the quality of construction of the Picard cedar/canvas canoe. However the inside still looks good. I'm at the stage where I am filling in the cracks and gaps with plastic wood (1/2 done) and then I will start sanding.

I was given a piece of 6" by 5" piece of lumber that is about 4 feet long. I plan to whittle it down so that it will fit snug into the prow of the canoe. I will glue it into place in order to strengthen the prow which I find to be too weak to my liking. There is not much material for the outside planks that meet at the prow of the canoe.

As you can probably see, I am still unfamiliar with the names of the various parts of a canoe even though I have been using them most of my life.

Anyway, I did post a message asking for help or opinions on what to do with my canoe. The info that I have gleaned through the internet has answered a lot of the questions that have been trotting in my head.

Back