Mystery wood kayak

223Mako

Hello all,

I am just getting into the wooden boat hobby. I have an opportunity to buy a wooden kayak from a friend of mine but cannot find any marks or plates on it that tells me who made it or approximate age. I am trying to figure out if its a home built or something that might have been made by a Company back in the day. See attached pictures. Any help, guesses or just general comments are appreciated.

Mako

Attachments

• 0114141758.jpg
    0114141758.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 556
  • 0224140826.jpg
    0224140826.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 563
  • 0224140827.jpg
    0224140827.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 567
Hello Mako, I believe the kayak is a modern/ not old one. The building style looks like 'tortured plywood' construction to me- most likely home built.

Yes, most likely home-built - probably from scratch but it could be from some sort of kit. It doesn't resemble any production boat that I can think of. Probably recent, or at least within the last 30-40 years. It's not tortured plywood though. It would have a big fillet down the middle of the bottom if it was, and possibly stringers but probably no ribs or chines. It could be stitch and glue or just nailed and glued plywood with chine logs and sheer clamps, but you can't tell that from those photos.

My bad, I don't know what I was seeing- definitely not 'tortured plywood' construction. 1st photo does show some frame work and 2nd photo, left side, looks like screw/ nail 'dimples' along the decking at the sheer. Could be stitch and glue- but with the frame work I think glued and nailed is more likely as you say, Todd.

Back