Moose River Bow Trip

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
Well, since the forum was down and since Pa's filler is drying what else is there to do but go for a paddle??!!

I finally got out for some fresh air last week. We spent a leisurely four days on the Moose River Bow Trip near Jackman, Maine. It was technically an informal gathering of wood canoe nuts from the Norumbega Chapter of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (2 of us members). My son and I took my 17 ft. Chestnut Prospector and Steve Lapey took a 16 ft canoe he built from Peterborough lines.

We carried the Attean-Holeb 1.25 mile portage like the manly men we are :rolleyes: . We camped at Holeb Pond, Holeb Falls and Attean Falls. Ran into a bunch of students from Unity College at the Holeb Falls Portage. They were out for 10 days and were continuing down Spencer Stream to Flagstaff and beyond.

I've yet to see an actual Moose on the Moose River, but we did hear one amble off through the brush this time. Beavers and scrats were plentiful. Son Brendan fished the local waters hard with bobber and plastic worm.

The waters were at a great level. We had periodic showers for much of the 4-days to contribute to the flow. Few bugs.

Tried to reach GW on the cell on the last night out - we witnessed the makings of a border crossing invasion! We were minding our own business at Attean campsite when nearly 20 canoes came UP the river. A group from Quebec set up base and were goofing around in the rapids. Otherwise, the trip was real quiet - just the way I like it :cool: .

There is a small photo album here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/550675077ubcgHJ

Attachments

• BigRock.jpg
    BigRock.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 753
  • CamelRips.jpg
    CamelRips.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 825
  • Trippersedit.jpg
    Trippersedit.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 693
Fitz said:
Tried to reach GW on the cell on the last night out - we witnessed the makings of a border crossing invasion! We were minding our own business at Attean campsite when nearly 20 canoes came UP the river. A group from Quebec set up base and were goofing around in the rapids.

That was the Quebec Navy, buddy! They were probably trying to get in in time for that amnesty bill!

Nice TR and pictures, nothing better than spending a few days in the woods with a wooden canoe to move you around, except maybe sharing it with your son and friend.

Robin

My wife and I did that trip just before we got married. (I guess it didn't deter her, we are still married 19 years later.) No moose then either....but lots of mud on that portage.

Paddling those old wooden boats

We are new to the WCHA and just getting into wood/canvas canoes after many years/trips with the traditional royalex/kevlar types. Just wondering what folks' experiences have been with paddling the vintage canoes, which ones handle best, what are the paddling favorites????

Depends

A great deal depends on what kind of water you like to do your tripping on. I really like the Chestnut Prospector that I took on this trip. It carries a ton of gear and paddles/manuevers very easily. I originally thought the legend of the Prospector might be a lot of hype, but it has turned out to be a favorite of mine. I think it makes a great tripping canoe. But if I was going on a flatwater trip involving lots of lakes, I'd probably go with an Old Town Guide. I think the EM White Guide makes a great poling canoe for going upstream.

Do you solo, trip with young family, or go tandem? Is weight a major concern?

If you get a chance, try and paddle a few different designs. Post some of your tripping preferences and I'm sure some forum members could make some good canoe suggestions.

Glad to see Fitz agrees about the virtues of the prospector. I've tripped in only two canoe models--an Ogilvy and a prospector and the prospector wins hands down. Seems as fast loaded as it is light.

Back