miracle storage rack

Great idea. If you ever need a place to put the motor that's hanging from the hoist in the driveway, this gives you some options other than the tree in the front lawn. The canoe should be removed first of course.

What a great deal! Sturdy, and easy to disassemble. North of the border creativity at its best!

Translation: "I have a couple 2x4's and 12 cinderblocks I need to get rid of. Come n' getum."

Hey all,
I'm looking for designs for canoe storage racks. This seemed like the best existing post title. I want to build something on the side of the garage that will hold 3 or 4 canoes in the summer. Garage wall is 2X4 plus sheathing and clapboards. In the winter the canoes and kayak are hoisted up against the rafters. In the summer it would be nice to slide them off the rack and load them for trips to the water. Simple is good. I can tack a tarp (or frame with tarp) higher up on the wall to drape over the boats for protection from weather and sun. I'd prefer not to have an enclosed structure because that would be pushing into a building permit and zoning variance. I saw a Denis Kallery design sketch that Kathryn Klose posted a while back but cannot find it again. This or other ideas welcomed.

I built one in my garage using pipe and T joints. I made two masts each with 4 lengths of 18" pipe with T joints between each one and anchored them vertically 6' apart to the wall. I screwed 3/4 by 24 lenths into the T to make the perpendicular lateral support. I put larger pipe over the 3/4 wrapped in pipe insulation. This allowed me to slide the boats in and out like a drawer. This worked well for three canoes but could take more space permitting.

I would post a pic but I nolonger have that set up. I acquired more and needed to store more and went to a ceiling hoist arangement.

I acquired more and needed to store more
;)

How'd that conversation go? After 35 years of marriage my wife seems to see these coming. If I leave the house for a couple hours with the racks on the roof she's immediately suspicious. I try to make sure that at least every other time or so that I go to Lowes and pick up a couple two by fours. That keeps her guessing.

More seriously, I'm at a loss to figure out what to do with all of them. I have a few in the garage, a few are on wall racks, a few are in the rafters, there are a couple are hanging, one is on horses, one in under the porch roof, a couple are in the cellar, one is in the back yard......the best storage seems to be my mothers carriage barn. My overflow seems to fit in the there pretty well. The drawer idea sounds good but you still need a building to construct that in.

;)

How'd that conversation go? After 35 years of marriage my wife seems to see these coming. If I leave the house for a couple hours with the racks on the roof she's immediately suspicious. I try to make sure that at least every other time or so that I go to Lowes and pick up a couple two by fours. That keeps her guessing.

More seriously, I'm at a loss to figure out what to do with all of them. I have a few in the garage, a few are on wall racks, a few are in the rafters, there are a couple are hanging, one is on horses, one in under the porch roof, a couple are in the cellar, one is in the back yard......the best storage seems to be my mothers carriage barn. My overflow seems to fit in the there pretty well. The drawer idea sounds good but you still need a building to construct that in.

First, I never leave the house without the roof racks on. Second, I got a three car garrage which allows for some to be infront of others so she isn't sure just exactly how many are in the garage. Third, I joined a club that has canoe storage. It is across town and she does'nt wander over there. Also I have some kayak buddies with the same dilemma. I told them that I would store their new kayaks and they could store my old canoes.

I have not solved the storage issue, but the seemingly endless stream of other peoples' canoes that come in for repairs (mostly composite boats, and most repairs are gunnels, thwarts, & seats) has left my wife not knowing how many boats I actually have... which means I could get more... I think...

Rack

Here are photos of 2 racki I built. One is made of threaded pipe amd fittings and the other is pipe welded to channel iron. The horisontal pieces are 1 1/4" pipe with Fire hose covering. Verticles are 8' apart.

Attachments

• DSC_0049_2_2.jpg
    DSC_0049_2_2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC_0353.jpg
    DSC_0353.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 470
Here's my version of a barn side storage rack. I bolted some discarded PT 6X6 posts to the side of the garage and drilled horizontal holes the same size as the outside diameter of 3ft sections of galvanized water pipe. Then I stuck the pipes in the holes and friction holds them in place. Some black plastic pipe fit over the galvanized pipe nicely to protect the gunnels. When the canoes move inside for the winter (as if they ever moved themselves inside), the pipes simply pull out for storage. Oops. Sorry you'll have to turn your monitors sideways to see the photos rightside up
IMG_0494.jpgIMG_0495.jpgIMG_0496.jpg

Back