Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Membership and the future of the WCHA

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Benson Gray, Feb 25, 2007.

?

How did you first learn about the WCHA?

1. From another member?

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. From a builder or restorer?

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. From the web site?

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  4. From the brochure?

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. From a demonstration or presentation?

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. From a story in the press?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. From another source? (Please reply with the details.)

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bob goeckel

bob goeckel Wooden Canoe Maniac

i think the other consideration is that this is a sickness(obsession). we tend to catch it from others. it wouldn't hurt to name the people we caught it from either, they are dangerous. i caught it from dave wermuth and i think he is still spreading the virus around. shame on you dave!:D

2. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

outbreak!

Someday I hope someone somewhere will name me to that list.

But no one likes a kid with a social disease!:eek:

3. Daniel Day

Daniel Day Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Future

Hello All,
    To make a long story short. A friend of mine said he had lost the place to store his canoe. I said that he could keep it in my garage until he decided what to do with it. When I first saw it I was impressed. When he brought out all the sailing gear, rudder, leeboards, etc. I told him I wanted to buy it. We settled on a price before I found your web site. He says I don't owe him any more money, but I do.
    Because of your site I have found a true/current price for the canoe, build sheet, which is incredible itself, and valuable information on restoring it. It turned out to be a 1959 OTCA 17' sailing canoe that came from, of all places, the other Washington back east. If only it could tell its story. The information and comments on this site are great. I know that many of you have put a lot of time and effort into this site.
    To be frank if I joined all the clubs I wanted to I would not have money for my hobbies. Being mostly a lurker on this board I feel there are a lot more people out there interested in wood canoes and this site than you think.
    Well all I can say is, this is a great site, full of information and I tell everyone one I come across about it.
    Thanks
    Daniel Day
    Spokane, Wa. (The wood canoe void.)

4. Mark Adams

Mark Adams all wood nut

My father and I learned of the WCHA back in 1979 thru a small ad in WoodenBoat.

5. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

So, I am contagious?

Well Bob, in that case How come you haven't started fly fishing or why don't you hunt with traditional archery? Or why don't you play trumpet? I can see I'll have to cough on you again.
    ( :-}

6. bob goeckel

bob goeckel Wooden Canoe Maniac

used to want to flyfish. don't hunt since i cought this bug from you i don't have time for anything else.:D

7. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

But wait, that's not all

I got two newpaper articles in the Flint Journal. Detroit Free press. And it got picked up on the network and was in a dozen other papers. Furthermore, I was standing in a trout steam waving a stick and a guy saw me and said "hey aren't you the guy in the newspaper?" Even got a nice note in the mail from Henrietta and Ron Pellinen from up in the Soo, Ont. they saw it in their paper.
    Yet, how many votes? zero
    I am humbled.
    The best method still seems to be word of mouth. Then the website.