• From the web site?

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • From the brochure?

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • From a demonstration or presentation?

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • From a story in the press?

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • From another source? (Please reply with the details.)

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
i think the other consideration is that this is a sickness(obsession). we tend to catch it from others. it wouldn't hurt to name the people we caught it from either, they are dangerous. i caught it from dave wermuth and i think he is still spreading the virus around. shame on you dave!:D

outbreak!

Someday I hope someone somewhere will name me to that list.

But no one likes a kid with a social disease!:eek:

Future

Hello All,
To make a long story short. A friend of mine said he had lost the place to store his canoe. I said that he could keep it in my garage until he decided what to do with it. When I first saw it I was impressed. When he brought out all the sailing gear, rudder, leeboards, etc. I told him I wanted to buy it. We settled on a price before I found your web site. He says I don't owe him any more money, but I do.
Because of your site I have found a true/current price for the canoe, build sheet, which is incredible itself, and valuable information on restoring it. It turned out to be a 1959 OTCA 17' sailing canoe that came from, of all places, the other Washington back east. If only it could tell its story. The information and comments on this site are great. I know that many of you have put a lot of time and effort into this site.
To be frank if I joined all the clubs I wanted to I would not have money for my hobbies. Being mostly a lurker on this board I feel there are a lot more people out there interested in wood canoes and this site than you think.
Well all I can say is, this is a great site, full of information and I tell everyone one I come across about it.
Thanks
Daniel Day
Spokane, Wa. (The wood canoe void.)

So, I am contagious?

Well Bob, in that case How come you haven't started fly fishing or why don't you hunt with traditional archery? Or why don't you play trumpet? I can see I'll have to cough on you again.
( :-}

used to want to flyfish. don't hunt since i cought this bug from you i don't have time for anything else.:D

But wait, that's not all

I got two newpaper articles in the Flint Journal. Detroit Free press. And it got picked up on the network and was in a dozen other papers. Furthermore, I was standing in a trout steam waving a stick and a guy saw me and said "hey aren't you the guy in the newspaper?" Even got a nice note in the mail from Henrietta and Ron Pellinen from up in the Soo, Ont. they saw it in their paper.
Yet, how many votes? zero
I am humbled.
The best method still seems to be word of mouth. Then the website.

I stared at an old beat up canoe on craigslist for several months. I went to look at the by gone canoe but was convinced by the seller to look up WCHA site.

I don't remember exactly when I joined the WCHA. I think it was in 1984. I had acquired a 15' Old Town Trapper and set about to restore it. I saw an ad in Canoe magazine for the WCHA and somehow contacted Jack McGreivey who sold me all the materials I needed. There was also an entire issue of Canoe magazine, October 1985, devoted to wood canoes. I still have it. I restored the canoe and brought it to my first Assembly at Paul Smith's College where Jerry Stelmok complimented me on my project and encouraged me to continue. It was that conversation - if nothing else - that lead me to still being a member and still restore and use wood canoes. Like all organizations the number one way to get new members is to "press the flesh," invite and encourage others to participate. Attached is the cover of the 1985 Canoe magazine and for Macky another picture of Adelaide on the Green at PSC.

Jim C.

Attachments

• IMG_6003.JPG
    IMG_6003.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 42
  • ss cr 100_2741.JPG
    ss cr 100_2741.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 41
I believe WCHA was listed as a resource in the back of Canoecraft. That's how I remember learning of the community.
I say community because that's what it feels like here. Online, and during my informal visits to a few assemblies.
My thought on how to build on what I believe is already a success, what about the idea of having an online map of WCHA "embassadors"? The people are already all over the world, but I'd volunteer as an open door shop for folks interested in learning about wooden canoes. Being able to see a wooden canoe in person, smell the cedar in a shop, and talk to someone who has built and or restored a canoe might be a great first impression, and introduce, in person, the community that chats and networks online as well. Quick thoughts- WCHA flag at the location, plans, materials and books to view (we probably each have at least a small library and ephemera). Outposts if you will? I'll now volley these thoughts to the greater group :)

I'd volunteer as an open door shop for folks interested in learning about wooden canoes.

I would encourage you to start a chapter. Many of the ones listed at the link below are nothing more than a regional contact for anyone who wants to know more about wooden canoes. Some chapters have newsletters, regular events, web sites, social media sites, and more but these are not required. It can be as much or as little as you choose. Another option is to contact an existing chapter and offer to host an open shop event. Good luck,

Benson

What is the proper procedure to start one?

Pete Shea is the current chapter person on the board of directors. His contact information is at the bottom of the chapter page in the link at my previous message. It is also at the top of the page below for the board of directors. Have fun,

Benson

Back