Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Loon Works 'Nakoma'

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Marty Reeck, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty Reeck

Marty Reeck Curious about Wooden Canoes

I have a Loon Works 'Nakoma'. Built in 2010 by the great canoe craftsman, Tom MacKensie.. It has never been in the water. I have it hanging on my wall. It has a lot of extras: Satin Varnish, Curley Maple filler strip, Bird's eye decks and special caning for the seat. I hate to sell it, but we are downsizing. Is there a demand for Tom's canoes now that he is gone?

2. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Yes... These canoes are used extensively for FreeStyle Canoeing. I'm on the FreeStyle Canoe Activity Committee, and can circulate photos & whatever information you have to the entire FS community, some 640-650 people. You can post here, or PM me, and the word will get out.

3. dmd421

dmd421 Debbie Darga

Hello Marty, we have been looking for one of Tom's canoes to use with our grand children. Our kids went to assembly and would paddle the canoes Tom brought for the kids to try. What is the length of this canoe?

4. OP
    OP
    Marty Reeck

Paul, the Nakoma is 13' L, 28"W, 113/4"D, and weighs 35#. It has a lot of extras: satin varnish, birds eye maple decks, curly maple filler strip, special caning seat, 'Shadow Stripe' and pettit marlin blue in color. As I said, it has never been in the water. I will send a picture. Thanks

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    Marty Reeck

Debbie, hope you got my reply. If not, the Nakoma is 13' L. The other dimensions are as above. Thanks

6. Joe Dorsey

Joe Dorsey New Member

Hi Marty - I’m interested in the Nakoma canoe. I was a student of Tom’s in Wisconsin circa 1974, and he was the ‘best man’ in my wedding there in 1981. (BTW, I attended Tom & Karen’s wedding in Big Fork, MN a few years earlier...)

Please let me know if this boat is still available. Thanks!

Joe Dorsey
    dorsey.joe@gmail.com

7. Corrado Vasquez

Corrado Vasquez Curious about Wooden Canoes

Marty, how much are you asking for your Nakoma? If I remember Tomn had a series of canoes varying in size. Does anyone know the name of the model that was 14ft long .I keep thinking Ariel? I would be interested in that one too.

8. OP
    OP
    Marty Reeck

Corrado, I would like $3700. The 14' canoe was the Aria.

9. Corrado Vasquez

Any chance you bringing it down to the WCHA Assembly at Paul Smiths,NY ?

10. OP
    OP
    Marty Reeck

We don't have plans to attend , so probably not. Sorry.

11. Corrado Vasquez

Id think with the freestyle program playing out at the Assembly you would get strong interest up there for sure.

12. Deb Gohr

Deb Gohr New Member

Where are you located? Deb

13. OP
    OP
    Marty Reeck

Deb, I am in Humboldt, Iowa'

14. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

I'm located 6&1/2 hours almost straight east of Humboldt, near the Lake Michigan shore, and will be going to Assembly. If you can get it somewhere towards me, I can take it to Assembly.

15. OP
    OP
    Marty Reeck

Thanks, Paul. I'll see what interest there is before the assembly.

16. ken.kelly

ken.kelly LOVES Wooden Canoes

Marty, I'm interested in this canoe. Would you please email me kenk@woodberrywine.com. I'd make a road trip to come get it. Thanks, Ken

17. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Folks, this is turning into a classified ad. I am closing the thread - please take further conversation to PM.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.