Looking for motor Mount...help

Nessmuck

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Looking for an electric motor ...Mounting set up ,for my 1960 old town OCTA. ..trolling for trout would be a lot easier . Thanks for any info

Not sure, have to look at the specs. The tube can be cut down to suit. The electric motor is contained at the business end of the unit.....at the prop. All the down tube does is connect the controls to the motor. Only the wires exist in the tube.

There is a little 30 lb. thrust Minn Kota with a 30" shaft that you can get from places like WalMart for as little as $93 (model Endura C2 30 suggested retail $127) which is really a nice one for small boats.

https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/20846/Minn-Kota-Endura-Series-Trolling-Motors.html
(scroll about halfway down the page).

We use them on canoes and also on inflatable cat-a-rafts. We are using them with 35 amp hour sealed Mighty Max batteries, which are a lot smaller, lighter and easier to deal with than a full sized battery. Unless you're planning really long outings, they seem to have plenty of run time.
https://www.mightymaxbattery.com/sh...place-ups12-150mr-lc-la1233p-ep33-12-prc1235/

The other important part of the system is to have a good smart charger to keep the battery properly recharged. I use this model, which is excellent and reasonably priced.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVHBPDV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The motor mount I use is wood and pretty simple and cheap to make. I'll see if I can hunt up a photo of it. Depending upon where you can get some wood, it might cost twenty bucks to make.

This is the only one that I have current access to in town here. I built it for an old fiberglass Lincoln canoe that we got for my dad about 1980 which is in here to get cleaned up. The mount is ash about 1.5" thick and at some point somebody left it out on the ground under the porch for a couple of years before I found it. The Deks Olje oil finish was shot, but it at least kept it from rotting, so one of these days it will get sanded clean and re-oiled. The mount's top piece is a bit wider than the gunwales are at the spot where the motor mount will go and it sits on top of them. It can be held in place by being bolted to a small thwart installed below it, as I did here, or by making a removable cross piece which spans the hull below the inwales. In that case, the bolts pull the two pieces tightly together, sandwiching the inwale between them. The vertical block for the motor to clamp onto is bolted to the top piece with a couple of hefty bolts and is cut on its bottom to sit at a slight angle. The surfaces which will rest against wooden gunwales should be padded with some thin rubber (cut up inner tube pieces, etc.) both to help protect the wood and to keep the mount from moving around. The top crossbar can be either straight or curved like this one and you can stick the motor either off to starboard as shown here, or to port if that way feels more comfortable to you.
motor-mount.jpg

Back