Looking for info. HOW TO!

Matt

Issue 134 is worth getting for Alex's article alone. The 'one off' is also referred to by some as an open form. I know of a builder who once lived in the Flint area who built 'open form'

Brian Baker in Mid Michigan also built open form. Brian is selling his materials as he is retiring from building. He also made voyager canoes. I believe Busch gardens has his canoes. He says that he can modify to any length using the same form station molds simply by changing the distance between.

modify

Tis true but of course tis not always good.Generally a longer hull needs more modification to retain its seaworthyness,though I imagine some cases do not matter overall.
I think I found your paddle in a Beaverswamp north of Pointe aux Baril.
John

Hi John

I am not sure but the paddle you found may not be mine. Unless it's a Shaw and Tenney Sassafrass with inlay and tied to a Rushton with gold leaf trim over dark green paint, strapped to the top of a Silver Cayenne with seven speed automatic transmission and leather interior. then, it might be mine.

I don't recall the length range Brian said he made using the forms he had but I agree there are probably some limitations to the design.

length

I think a variable of a foot or so on a broad beam canoe would likely make any practicable difference.I was taught however that stretching a mold really was not good design.John Winters wrote a whole book on the subject.It has a little math but so be it.
I noticed the gold leaf but I'm afraid your car must have failed to make the trip.I'll look further offshore.
John

If I remember correctly, John W said stretching up to about 5% was "OK", after that you started getting different hull performance.

Dan

I did not lose it.

It says, "Who hid my paddle?"
And now we have a suspect.
Have you ever been to Beaverswamp?

i once knew a beaver who claimed to be from there or knew someone who was from there. i can't recall which.;)

5% sounds about right.

Beaverswamp Oklahoma or Beaverswamp Michigan?
Was your car very wet and covered with Algae?Did it say SeaDoo on the side?
John

beaverswamp

steer wide of hupfield, he has the animals trained to do his bidding.
hence his often humorous punctuation - although they have taken on his sensitive palete, often turning their nose up at otherwise fine fare.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 500
  • 142671.jpg
    142671.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 476
reminds me-

Hi Bob, that reminds me of the time I tried crossing a beaver pond up in the hills near the Porkies, The ice was too thin, I fell through. And then on that same mountain My knife slipped one year and went into my wrist. Made it to Ironwood for stitches. I should call it my lucky mountain for its beauty and Whitetails. Maybe that's where my paddle is hidden.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Back