Looking for any photo/Catalog page of a OT 1942 Guide GS

BigWind

Canoeist #10064
I'm beginning restoration on #136200 and want to get it right. Any photographs or catalog pages would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking to ensure the original hardware for the painter, floor rack hold downs and center thwart attachment is correct so if there's info/pics on those as well, please let me know.

Jim Rice

I'll attach the page from the 1942 catalog. There are no close-ups of the painter hardware, etc. but others here can help you with that.

Attachments

• ot guide 1942.gif
    ot guide 1942.gif
    180.8 KB · Views: 527
Thanks Kathryn,
How about decal placements on the hull or not? I guess so soon I'll just have to hope for the best and show up at outings to get a look at others.

Jim Rice

Reproduction decals to place on the bow deck are available in the WCHA Store. The large decal that is sometimes seen on the side of the hull wasn't used on a '40s canoe.

If people haven't jumped in here right away with the pictures you need, be patient and it'll happen. It could be the Holiday Mindboggle. You may want to try using the "search" function to see what comes up. There are several longer discussions on war-era canoes. Some of the changes that happened because of WWII didn't take effect until 1943, but these discussions may help explain things you might run into when working on the canoe-- such as use of steel instead of brass or copper, if this is what you find on your canoe.

Kathy

I'm also looking to ensure the original hardware for the painter, floor rack hold downs and center thwart attachment is correct so if there's info/pics on those as well, please let me know.

Old Town used a variety of painter rings over the years from different manufacturers and at various locations on the canoe. A common one was mounted through the bang plate or on the deck as shown at http://www.ebay.com/itm/280852265638 and the image at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7487&d=1240973159 shows a bob stay. Other deck mounted styles were also used in some cases. The floor racks were held down with short lengths of a bang plate. The center thwart was attached with the standard diamond headed bolts and wing nuts were often used so it could be easily removed for courting. Please reply here if this doesn't answer your question or if you want more pictures. Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Kathryn,
Knowing there are no decals on the sides is good and I'll just be replacing the decal on the fore deck.

As you said, "be patient and it will happen" and so it is...

Jim

Benson,
I've attached a pic of the painter hardware. It was put on off center so it looks to be "after market". None of the hardware protrudes through the deck. I'll take it off soon to see if there are teltale signs of one that went before.

The floor rack in fact is being held down with a piece of bang plate (just missing the brass wood screw) and only at midships. The center thwart is being held on with wingnuts. All the diamond headed bolts are in place and except for the screws holding the painter ring, there doesn't look to be any steel fasteners at all.

I would love more pictures or any info regarding this 1942 model. I have a long way to go.

Jim Rice

Back