Looking for a MI. chapter

Bob Schenk

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi, I live in Grand Ledge, MI (near Lansing). I'm wondering if any members live near here? I have a 15' wood/canvas canoe (long story on how I got it) So far I have found out that it is a 2000 Ragg-A-Muffin canoe built by Pat Smith of West Hollow Boat Co. It has a hole in it along with some broken/cracked ribs & some planking. I plan on fixing/restoring it. Need to know if I can get any materials locally??
Thanks,
Bob Schenk
(517) 627-3552

Hello Bob, do you have any pictures you can post on here? Are you looking for raw lumber or finished planks? We have a wonderful group of people all over MI and some members from IN and OH. Have you ever attended the Quiet Waters Symposium the first weekend in March at MSU Agricultural Building?

Mike

HI Bob, yes lots of members not too far from you. Russ Hicks, our chapter president lives in Charlotte. HIs contact info is in the Wooden Canoe Journal and perhaps somewhere here on this site. Plan on attending the Quiet Water Symposium the first Saturday in March. Actually, google the QWS and you'll find some good stuff there. Some of the members near you may not be active on this site, but they are not far from you. If you have trouble making connections send me a message or email and i'll hook you up.

Hi Mike, thanks guys for the replies. I posted pics before in the serial # search, but here they are. DSC_0001.jpgDSC_0002.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0004.jpg

I'll bet there's a story to that damage. Materials are easy to get, finished or rough sawn wood, tacks, etc. the thing that is most difficult to find is the time to do it.

I'm sure there is a story to the damage, but I don't know it. I am retired from residential construction-some 30 plus yrs, so I have the time & a heated shop to work on it. I used to live in Lapeer- Lake Nepessing actually. that was a long time ago.
i'm going to call Russ Hucks & go from there.

Then you'll be happy to hear Lk Nepessing gave up a state record bluegill last year. (In case you had not heard it, that is.) Your canoe looks like it would be a joy to fix. No rot to deal with.

Back