Kennnebec Salesman sample...

vtwoodworker

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
As I promised in my previous thread here are the pics of my families Kennebec Salesman Sample. We believe it to be from the early 1920s.
image1.JPG image2 - Copy.JPG image2.JPG image3 - Copy.JPG image3.JPG

Cheers!

Very Nice, if you do a search on Kennebec models you will find info dating the canoe possibly. If the thread gets moves to models and salesman samples Roger will most likely chime in and give some great info.

This looks like a wonderful model. I have moved the thread, although Roger will probably find it in either location. The Kennebec records identify 60 miniature canoes spread across ten ledger pages from 1916 to 1926. However, I've never heard of a Kennebec model that has a serial number so there is no obvious way to use this information for dating any individual example. Can you tell us anything more about this one?

Benson

Last edited:
Thanks Benson! Can you please move my other thread from the ID section to the wood and canvas? Probably makes sense to throw it in there as I start the restore vs. me keeping posting in the ID section. Thanks so much! Cheers!!

p.s. I'll be joining as a member when I get my next pay check :)

Lovely looking Kennebec display sample. Great paint detail; probably the most elaborate I have seen with the flourishes and striping. As Benson has already noted, research by Dan Miller turned up records of 60 samples built by Kennebec between 1916 and 1926. If I recall correctly, ten were made in 1916; then ten more each year between 1922 and 1926, inclusive. The models I have seen over the years have measured either 63" in length, or 68". The shorter examples are slightly more chunky and robust in build, while the longer ones appear more curvaceous, with high ends, a low middle and some greater finesse in detail. At least, that is my take. As Benson also points out, the samples don't seem to show up with serial #'s that can be correlated to the records. My personal gut feeling is that the shorter models may have come earlier in time; i.e, part of the 1916 batch. The paint on this model, though, somewhat resembles that on a 68" sample I came across a few years ago (see photos below), and which I believe was likely made during the 1922-26 period. It would be great to see some more photos, especially of the decks, gunwale caps and interior (seats, thwarts). Thanks for sharing knowledge of this piece.
P1000349.JPG
P1000355.JPG

Attachments

• P1000357.JPG
    P1000357.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Roger-

Thanks for the additional info, here are a few more pics that we already had. I'll get some more this week. Any idea how many of the 60 that were produced are accounted for?
IMG_5974.JPG
IMG_5974.JPG
IMG_5975.JPG
IMG_5976.JPG

I'm pretty sure that it's a fake.
If you ship it to me I'll be glad to authenticate it for you FOC. I'll PM my address to you.;):D

I haven't kept an accurate count of the Kennebec models I have seen over the years, but I rather suspect it would total somewhere between 15 and 20. So, I may have seen close to 25%, maybe 33% of what they claim to have made by way of 'display samples'. That really isn't definitive, though, of the number of 'survivors' that are still 'out there'. Time and accidents have a way, usually, of decreasing the numbers. Whatever the actual remaining total may be, it is not large to begin with. To have made only 60 samples over 30 years of manufacturing history is not many to begin with. If I recall correctly, Kennebec made around 30,000 full-size canoes during that period. So, sample production was a very minuscule part of their focus.

As for your sample, I am going to speculate (based on your photos) that it measures 63" in straight line extreme length. I base that guess on the blunt ends of the gunwale caps. All the 63" models I have seen have a rather 'spade' end to their caps; the longer 68" samples all seem to have gunwale caps that end with an angled,bias or pointed cut. The seats with their basket weave caning match all the other original Kennebec samples I have seen. Everything about your models looks to be very original, and is also the nicest one in the best condition. Thanks to you and your family for looking after it so well over the years.

Back