Info about our Peterborough Cedar Strip Canoe

rugar

WE HAVE A PETERBOROUGH CANOE THAT IS 16' X33X12. IT HAS A BRASS PLATE tHAT HAS THE FOLLOWING INFO ON IT

THIS IS A
PETERBOROUGH
CRAFT
16 SERIAL 4338
WOULD LOVE TO KNOW ITS HISTORY, AGE, ETC

The brass plate should also have a model number which will help to date it better than the serial number.

Attachments

• New Folder 100.jpg
    New Folder 100.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 492
  • Mar. 2011 QT and G 025.jpg
    Mar. 2011 QT and G 025.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 421
  • New Folder 090.jpg
    New Folder 090.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 346
Peterborough Cedar Strip Canoe

The plate is similar to the one you had shown.
Ours appears to be narrower and the area where the one indicates model # on ours there is just a box with the number 16 then serial 4338 and below that where yours shows "cedar strip" ours says "canvas covered".
Help

I suspect that you have a fairly early Champlain model. Pictures might help. Unfortunately there are no remaining records that can date a Peterborough canoe. Carefully check the upper stem faces inside the canoe for other numbers.

Attachments

• 16' Peterborough 02 11 020.jpg
    16' Peterborough 02 11 020.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 16' Peterborough 02 11 038.jpg
    16' Peterborough 02 11 038.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 291
There are several Peterborough models of various vintage with those dimensions, specifically such as Champlain Pleasure, Algonquin Cruiser, plus all the models that have dimensions close to those noted (and dimensions can vary sometimes from build to build, and can be different slightly than those given)....checking for serial number stamped in wood on bow stem certainly should tell exactly what model....if there of course....and photos definitely would help to identify

Thanks for your interest Dave.
I will try to send you pictures.
The canoe had a few broken ribs and it had been fiberglassed. I peeled off the fiberglass and a friend, who also built canoes, fixed the ribs and recanvassed it. I worked wood filler into the canvas and then painted it.
Anyway, I plan to sell it but hesitate to list it until I can establish its age and get a rough idea of its value.
Will be in touch.
Thanks again
Garry McAulay

Attention Dave Lanthier- could you email @ rugar@mts.net and I could attempt to attach pictures I took of our canoe that we are attempting to date. Could not figure out how to attach through this site.
Thanks
Rugar

Back