I have no good ideas for a roof rack.....suggestions?

Unclewhoo

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I would normally build roof rack that would work, but I just can't seem to come up with a good design.

These are my issues:

1) I am pulling a camper so i am unable to use the trailer receiver.
2) My canoe is only 12 feet long and has a distinct curve at the bow and stern. The curve hinders me from moving the canoe back any further on the truck....which won't allow my canoe to be close the tailgate. (At the tailgate I have holes in the box rails to slide in supports.)
3) I've tried running tie down straps through the cab of the truck, but the straps vibrate....very annoying.

I think my best bet is to purchase a roof rack system, however I would rather not spend a ton of money cause I would like to sell my truck in the near future. Do you have a roof rack that works good and is inexpensive?

The picture is of my truck and canoe with one strap running through the cab.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Photos you might have would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Canoe on Truck.jpg
    Canoe on Truck.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 278
I'm slightly different then you, I have a topper on, but,

I have a Thule "rain gutter" rack on the cab, that was bought used.
For your box, make a rack that goes up where you need it, either metal or wood would work.

Dan

Similar to Dan, But I have a single bar Yakima that fits across the cab. There should be two ~2 inch square holes along the side of your box. Go straight up from the forward one with wood to a height slightly higher than the cab rack, and then use the rear hole to attach a second piece of wood, at an angle up to the first, to take a lot of the wobble out of it. Two x 3 inch pine will be good enough for short term, light duty use. Tom McCloud

Back