Home Study Course from Barkcanoe.com

gmreeves

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Has anyone here gone through the home study course from barkcanoe.com? I'm interested to hear from anyone who has as I feel like it would be a good way for me to work through the steps on a smaller scale while I sit in Alabama waiting on my next trip to Canada. Any info on this course/kit would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

I got a kit back in '08. Worked out well if you can't get materials locally or know virtually nothing of the material selection (like me back then). Very useful to learn about the bark canoe construction process. Great little starter kit that shipped in a plywood box...basically everything all included Ended up getting the 3ft model kit. The lid had holes drilled for the "building bed" although I found the crooked knife included in the kit quite useless and dull. Ended up using a small block plane for working at this scale. Found there was little room for error with the materials and I ran out of root but was able to harvest more from a local park. If you're curious, I documented every step of my "build" on my website, but the posts are in reverse order, so you need to go backwards to get to the beginning. Link is here. Some pics of the kit for you...
Kit+Contents+01_rs.jpg
Kit+Contents+05_rs.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I looked over your blog and pics of the canoe build. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Does anyone know if Barkcanoe.com still exists?
I'd love to get one of these kits if possible. I've emailed the address on the website but no reply yet (maybe / hopefully just Christmas period delays)
Is there any one else who does this sort of kit?
Thanks
Sam

Thanks Nick - It's the business that I wanted to know about not the site. John has now been in touch with me so all is well in the world.

Sam

Back